̥۪͙۪

.   °. •     。

"nick?"

her eyes are wide open in disbelief.

"are you serious?"

it's hard to tell her opinion by the tone of her voice.

"yeah, i am," he chuckles, feeling the nerves start to kick in.

"you- he...?"

"i'm- he's.. my boyfriend, yeah."

he stops in front of her, with luke right by his side. they're holding hands just like they planned. sadie is speechless.

"i know it's... kind of out of the blue, but-"

"you idiot," she huffs, grinning before launching herself at him.

her arms wrap around his body in a tight hug. she buries her face in the crook of his neck, muffling her laughter. nick is so taken aback that he doesn't react at first, but when sadie doesn't let go, he can only hug her back just as tightly.

"you absolute moron," she continues, "you stupid little-"

he hears luke laughing too. it's all so bizarre.

"what did i do, man?" he snorts.

"nothing, just.."

she pulls away, keeping her hands on his shoulders. her expression changes from goofy to serious. there's a strong sentimental undertone to it.

"i'm... proud of you," she says, "like genuinely. for finding yourself, you know. and for getting that catch you wanted."

she turns to luke and winks, her eyes glittering playfully. nick tries to hush her, not wanting to be humiliated, but he ultimately fails. luke just smirks at them, taking hit after hit from his vape. maybe he's starting to feel the lurking anxiety too.

"shut up," nick mumbles, his cheeks dusted pink.

"oh you shut up!" sadie exclaims, "you were so obvious and it was adorable."

she lightly slaps him across the face a few times just to mess around, snickering at the way he only gets more flustered. even if he eventually learns to build up some confidence and overlook his insecurities, that shyness that plagues him will never truly go away. he blushes at the smallest things, especially when it's not convenient.

"okay, well.." sadie hums after a while, checking the time on her phone, "i have class in a few minutes, but i'd like to talk to you more at lunch if that's alright."

"yeah, sure, i'm up," nick responds, shrugging, "just text me or something and i'll head over to you."

they hug again. sadie smells as sweet as always, and her hair is softer than silk when he runs his fingers through it. in that brief moment, he realizes once and for all how lucky he is to have a friend like her. how much she really means to him.

when they've let go, she diverts her attention away from nick. her warm, friendly smile turns into a frown, and her stare could burn holes in your head.

"and you.." she growls, stepping forward and grabbing luke by the collar of his shirt, "don't you dare mess with him. if you break his heart i'm breaking your fucking neck."

luke just chuckles, completely unbothered by her actions.

"relax, i would never. i'll treat him like a princess. i promise."

"good."

she loosens her grip, still not fully letting go.

"you better make my boy so happy."