ׂׂૢ

. °. • 。

the teacher writes equation after equation on the whiteboard, but all the numbers just mix together. her lips move as she speaks, but nick can't hear any of it.

he glances down into his notebook where there's more scribbles and doodles than there are calculations. guns, nooses, flowers, and bongs fill the pages. he's never been much of an artist, but his in-class doodles could be framed and hung on the wall.

a few rows in front of him two girls send notes back and forth, stifling their laughter every time they write a new one. it reminds nick of middle school, of better times, when he would pass notes with clay whenever they couldn't talk.

sitting beside the unknown girls is carla, who's too busy braiding jason's hair to pay attention to the teacher. nick can't blame her, because his hair looks like a dream to mess around with; long and silky. the whole school is impressed by it.

someone raises their hand, talks, then goes silent again. rinse and repeat. nick doesn't keep up. he throws occasional glances at the clock above the door, as if it would move faster just because he's looking at it. it doesn't.

instead it seems to drag forward at snail speed. one second. two seconds. and still half an hour left of class.

he sighs, slamming his head down onto the table and pulling at his hoodie strings. he just wants to leave, hop on the bus home and hole himself up in his room.

he'd kill for some alone time, for a bag of doritos to cure his munchies, for a round of csgo with the curtains closed, for peace and quiet so he can jack off and get his mind off of things. he's sick of walking around in a haze, not knowing what to think or feel.

his arms serve as a pillow so he can at least get some sleep before the day is over. it's not the most comfortable position, but when was sleeping in class ever comfortable? it'll have to do.

he's just about to drift off when he feels a tap on his shoulder. his head shoots up, and his heart begins to race thinking he's about to get in trouble. but when he looks around the room the teacher is sitting at her desk, and no one else is standing by him.

he gets tapped again, a little harder this time, and it prompts him to finally turn around and look behind him. his eyes meet a pair of forest green ones, confidently inspecting his every feature. suddenly he feels exposed, naked almost.

"sorry," the girl chuckles, "do you have a pencil?"

her lips are curled up in a slight smile as she leans forward over her desk. she's wearing a white tank top and several bracelets on her wrists, as well as silver hoop earrings.

her nose is pierced, and her shiny jet black hair reaches almost all the way down to her waist. she looks like something straight out of 2007, but she's hot for sure.

"uh, y-yeah," nick stutters, mentally facepalming, "yeah, i do."

he swiftly hands her his glitter pencil that he picked up off the floor a few days ago.

"thank you," she grins, scribbling down something on a separate piece of paper before answering the first question on the board.

nick awkwardly smiles back, turning around again only to realize that he just gave away the one pencil he had. it was like a treasure when he found it, because he hadn't owned a single one for the entire year prior to that. and now it's gone.

girls make you dumb.

he buries his face in his hands, too tired to even care. but then she clears her throat, asking for his attention once again.

"your name is nick, right?"

it's odd that a stranger in his math class is actually showing interest in him. especially since that stranger is a pretty girl.

"yeah, what's yours?" he replies, trying to act casual with one arm slung over the back of the chair.

"sadie," she chirps.

sadie. it starts to click in his mind. long black hair, tank top..

it's that sadie. his heart skips a beat.

"how come we haven't talked before?" he asks, playing it cool.

"i don't know, i guess i've been too shy to introduce myself."

her eyes seem to sparkle when she speaks. they're an intense shade of green just like clay's, except darker and more intriguing somehow.

nick knows that he can't afford to be messing around now. this is serious business. he masks his nervosity with a barrier of confidence.

"i don't bite," he jokes, making her giggle.

they make small talk for the remainder of the class. it flies by faster than nick had anticipated, and by the end he still doesn't have a single answer written down. he shrugs as he closes the notebook, picking it up and getting out of his seat. there are more important things in life.

sadie follows him out into the hallway, loyally walking alongside him all the way to his locker. she tells him story after story, and all nick has to do is listen and nod.

he takes his time getting his bag out, but she waits for him just as patiently. she smiles, blinks, runs her fingers through her glossy hair. her energy screams of eagerness and positivity.

"by the way, are you coming to luke's party tomorrow?"

the question catches him off guard. sadie's eyes light up a little when she says it. it's not like he's surprised that she asked, because the whole school seems to be attending that fucking party.

quite frankly he'd almost forgotten about it after yesterday's events. he'd forced everything that has to do with that blond asshole out of his mind. but now it's coming back to haunt him once more, and this time he can't run away.

"yeah, uh, i was planning to go with a few of my friends," he explains, closing his locker.

"sweet! i'll probably be there early, so just let me know when you're on your way."

she fiddles with something in her textbook before handing him a piece of paper. a phone number is scribbled on it in messy handwriting. smooth.

"thank you, will do," nick assures her, slipping the paper into his pant pocket.

"it'll be so much fun!" she exclaims, diving in for a hug.

her thin arms wrap around his waist and he freezes for a second, slightly taken aback. but when sadie laughs into his chest he feels his cheeks go warm, and he can't help but melt into it.

she smells faintly of peaches and candy. not bubblegum. not weed. just happiness and good things.

"it'll be so much fun," he repeats, burying his face in the crook of her neck.

°.    •.   。