.   °. •     。

warmth.

outside, birds are singing. blue jays, song sparrows. the sun shines in through the window, dousing even the darkest corners of the room in light.

nick's face is nuzzled into something warm. he tries to move, but he's stuck. his arms are wrapped around that warm thing, and they won't let go.

when he finally peels his tired eyes open, he's met by the sight of freckled skin. a chest, slowly rising and falling in steady breaths. sharp collarbones leading out into broad shoulders. his heart flutters, and he can't help but smile like an idiot.

blond strands of hair are spread out on the pillow. nick reaches up to touch them, twirl them around his fingers. it makes luke stir in his sleep, pulling him closer and holding him still. and god, as if he wasn't mushy enough already.

memories of last night flood his mind. the heat, the lusting, hickeys, wet lips, the pleasure. he's never felt so fucking good in his life. it's like he died and went to heaven.

he has to pinch himself to make sure it's real. he's naked in bed with the most beautiful boy in the world, snuggled up to him under fluffy sheets. their bodies are intertwined, and their hearts beat as one. they might as well be one at this point, even if it's cheesy.

nick can't describe the feeling. it's a feeling beyond the grasp of words. it's butterflies and it's rosy cheeks, it's tingles and overwhelming elation. but it's also so much more than that. it's a grace of his soul, a blessing that leaves him dazed and breathless.

the sleeping luke cranes his neck down a little, unconsciously nuzzling the top of nick's head. the calm, hot breaths make him shiver. here, he's shielded from all evil; protected like a baby bird in its nest. he's safe. he's at peace. and he never wants to leave.

so he stays, shutting his eyes to relax. there are no worries, no obligations, no reasons to stress. just him and luke. he soon falls back into an inevitable sleep, still exhausted from the previous night's events.

he has no idea what time it is when he wakes up again, but the sun stands much higher in the sky instead of blinding him like before. he's laying in a different position too. there's no warm chest to snuggle into anymore. confused, he tries to move to investigate, only to be hugged tightly from behind.

"g'morning," luke mumbles, his voice deep and raspy.

nick feels that huge rush of love shoot through him, like all the butterflies have escaped at once. he flips over to look at the blond boy, desperate to see his tired expression.

and fuck, is he gorgeous. squinting eyes that haven't gotten used to the light yet. morning scruff covering his face that wasn't there yesterday. how has nick survived for eighteen years without experiencing this? he will never understand.

"morning," he replies, flustered.

luke cups his red cheek, quickly pecking his lips. it only makes him more flustered.

"god, you're so cute."

"shut up.." nick scoffs, nervously breaking their eye contact.

"it's true!"

luke's wide grin is infectious. he looks so goofy; so goofy but so perfect at the same time. he steals another peck, and nick feels like the luckiest man alive.

"did you sleep well?"

"never slept better," he responds, sighing contently.

"what did you dream of?" luke wonders, "did you dream of me?"

"mm.. maybe."

a few strands of hair are gently tucked behind his ear. he should really get a haircut, because it's getting harder and harder to tame. he doesn't understand how luke does it.

but on the other hand he'll gladly keep it a little longer if it means that luke will run his fingers through it like this. they undo small knots and tangles as they go. it's so relaxing that he could fall asleep again if he just tried.

soft lips press to his forehead, kissing it lovingly. luke's stubble is prickly, but he doesn't mind. it's just one more reason why he's in love.

he smiles, and this time it's luke's turn to lose his breath. he seems mesmerized, almost speechless when he gazes at the smaller boy. his cheeks have taken on a light pink tone. nick realizes that he has never even seen him blush before.

their faces are just inches apart, and neither of them can resist the urge to erase that distance. they let the kiss be long and lazy; effortless. luke hums, trailing his hands down a smooth back. they leave goosebumps in their path.

"so pretty..." he whispers, eyes half-lidded.

it draws a shy giggle from nick, as if he wasn't already flustered enough. the compliments are overwhelming him, but he loves it.

"i'll go make you some breakfast," luke suddenly declares, shuffling around to get out of nick's grip.

"nooo, stay," he whines, not wanting to let go of his favorite boy.

"aww, baby.. you'll be fine, i'll be back in like ten minutes, okay?"

he fucking melts. baby. the way luke said it so mindlessly, like it's the most natural thing in the world. the way he didn't even hesitate before blurting it out.

he crawls out of bed, walking over to the dresser to fetch some clothes. nick can only admire his body from where he's laying. he's been longing for that body for months, longing for its heat and its proximity. he's obsessed.

luke puts on boxers and a pair of sweatpants that sit right on his hip bones. it's so hot that nick almost drools. his expression earns him a knowing smirk and a chuckle.

"like what you see?"

he just nods, too embarrassed to speak.

"i figured."

luke starts digging around in the drawers again. he tosses a clean pair of underwear and a t-shirt to nick, not wanting him to put his dirty clothes from last night back on. nick mumbles a quiet 'thank you', sitting up with the sheets still covering his bare skin. as safe as he feels around luke, he's not comfortable enough to show off every single part of himself just yet.

"what do you want for breakfast? i've got most things."

"do you have cereal?" nick asks.

"of course you'd be a cereal guy," luke smirks, "yeah i do, how does cinnamon toast crunch sound?"

"amazing."

luke clicks his tongue, turning around and grabbing the door handle. but just as he's about to pull it down, he stops and glances at nick over his shoulder.

"do you need anything else by the way? advil? if you're sore, i mean."

nick moves around a little, blushing like crazy when he realizes that yeah, maybe he is a bit sore. but it's not bad at all, thanks to luke's generous prepping.

"i-it's fine," he stutters, to the other's amusement.

"okay, i'll be back soon."

he leaves through the bedroom door, slowly shutting it behind him. it's silent again. nick takes a deep breath, letting his head fall back against the wall. life is wonderful.

°. •. 。