ᵕ̈

. °. • 。

amateurish tags and doodles in sharpie are scattered all across the surface of the door. some vulgar drawings have splotches of white paint covering them, as if the janitor made a futile attempt to get the place to look nicer.

it stands slightly ajar when the senior boy approaches, so he uses his foot to carefully crack it open. there's a hole at the bottom that's perfectly shaped like the tip of his shoe from all the times he's kicked it.

that familiar creak echoes through the empty hallway, and he steps inside. in an instant he's hit by the sweet scent of pink bubblegum; it quite literally infiltrates his nose, takes over all his senses.

he really shouldn't be surprised, yet it manages to catch him off guard. a smirk forms on his face, one of mischievous joy. he's more than happy to deal with this.

he takes his time to close the door behind him, not only for the sake of privacy but also to announce his arrival. a sex pistols song is playing on low volume out of a phone speaker. he checks his hair in the dirty mirror, ruffles it, then turns around to investigate.

every single stall is gonna be empty, he knows that, yet he still kicks the doors open one by one. inside are broken toilets with cracked seats and graffitied walls, the pearls of this shithole school, the cherry on top of the pie. at least if you ask him.

the music gets louder as he nears the end of the row, and so does his excitement. sometimes it confuses him, because he really shouldn't be feeling this hyped over a normal everyday interaction. he has no idea what's causing it.

maybe it's the thrill of indulging in something that he probably shouldn't be indulging in, or maybe it's the thrill of the boy himself as he sits there on the windowsill, clad in a white hoodie, dusty old converse and torn up blue jeans not too unlike nick's own.

he looks unbothered as their eyes meet. he knew who was coming.

"couldn't stay away from me for even a day, huh?"

"shut up, moron."

he always thinks he's so witty and clever with those dumb comments, but he's wrong.

"don't lie to yourself, you like talking to me."

"yeah, when you're not being annoying," nick scoffs.

luke just laughs before taking a hit off his vape. a strand of blond hair falls in front of his face as he climbs down from the window.

"it's getting long," nick comments, "you can almost tie that into a bun soon."

"i know, i should get it cut."

"i think it's cute though."

he gets side eyed. luke's expression is smug, taunting.

"you think i'm cute?"

"no- i didn't mean it like that! i- just, your hair, is kinda..."

nick realizes that his efforts to save the situation are only making it worse. the entertained glares luke is giving him cut into his ego, trampling it all over again.

"dude- just forget i said anything, okay?"

"sure, okay."

his sarcastic tone makes nick want to punch him, but walking out of the run-down bathroom with a busted hand one more time seems unnecessary.

they walk towards the sinks together, basking in the comfortable silence. luke is such a loudmouth, so these moments of peace shouldn't be taken for granted. nick chuckles at the thought, taking in the familiar surroundings of his favorite place in dumbfuck-shitville-high school.

it's part of the section that was abandoned years ago, probably due to the school's dire financial situation. they couldn't afford maintenance anymore, so instead they left it to rot and closed it off with gates and barriers.

luckily nick found his way in with ease, earning him the perfect spot to chill and smoke in during breaks. it was his own secret hideout for months, until one day when he came in for a quick joint and the whole place reeked of bubblegum.

he was confused, almost a little scared, until he saw the worst thing he ever could've seen inside his new safe space. luke, that idiot blondie, the biggest asshole in town, puffing on his vape like it was a fancy cuban cigar.

admittedly they've come a long way since then, but the memory still pisses him off. that same night he snuck onto school grounds, found a ladder out back and took it with him inside the bathroom. then he spray painted the entire ceiling out of anger, as a way to mark his territory.

luke complimented it the next day, even though it sounded more like a taunt. nick socked him in the face, but he didn't fight back. instead he pulled a spliff out of his pocket and lit it to the other's dismay.

it was like he didn't give a shit about being punched, and it just pissed nick off even more. he was about to walk out the door when luke asked him if he wanted a hit or two. and ever since that moment they've been friends.

friends. nick cringes at that word. frenemies, maybe. he will never admit to himself that they're more than that.

he gazes up at the ceiling, where his artwork still remains.

TRASH STAR

his signature of sorts. it's written hastily in big bold letters. a trash star in a trash world.

"what are you thinking about?" luke wonders, breaking the silence.

"mm.. nothing," he responds absentmindedly.

an arm wraps itself around him, pulling him closer until he's got a face full of hoodie.

"so why did you come out here now? school's over, you never stay after class."

"i guess i just wanted some peace."

luke laughs, putting away his vape and engulfing him in a proper hug.

"dude, you're lying to yourself again."

"what do you mean, i literally-"

"you're lying. you would've gone somewhere else for peace after school. you came hoping i would be here, didn't you?"

and maybe he did. maybe he was lying to himself all along. maybe he just wanted to see his favorite dumb shithead blondie one more time. feel the heat of his body, his scratchy stubble, his soft wet lips against his own.

he's so goddamn touch starved.

"okay, fine.." he sighs, "what if i did? just shut up already."

"make me."

nick smiles daringly, and when he pulls away from the hug luke is smiling too. ice blue eyes shining bright even at the mercy of flickering yellow lights. sex pistols is still playing on his phone in his back pocket.

they kiss, just casually like they always do. it lasts for only a few seconds to begin with. luke looks so dumb when he breaks it off for the first time, so nick has to dive in again.

he gets a taste of that sweet bubblegum that he hates? loves? so much. calloused fingers comb through his hair, and he loves that too. correction: hates it.

at least he wishes he did. he wishes he could stop running back. but he also needs that specific type of closeness, and luke is the only one who's offering it at the moment. he's got no other choice.

he's got no other choice, but it's okay. he's okay with it. it's fine, at least for now.

°. •. 。