Chapter 134: Breaking Point

Every rough shove from Fernandez as they near the crew sends her legs shaking. Eleanore cannot even look up at them, knowing she would probably weep then and there. A weakness they do not need, not right now.  Out of all the results she had guessed for this blasted Gathering, the one thing that must come real isn't one of them.

But she is right.

Jones just wants her, for some odd, unexplained reason. They are capable, she assures herself as they near and Fernandez grips her shoulder to ensure she knows there is still a pistol aimed at her back. Capable men and women. They will survive, on their own, together. She has to take courage in that, and let her own fate be.

Free them too, to save them.

Still, when she finally raises her head, only forlorn faces meet hers. Thibaud, betrayed by the Brethren, scowls at Fernandez in disgust. Ben presses his lips to a line, but cannot move, and only his watery eyes tell her more. Uriah seethes and shakes his head, has his free hand in a fist and the cane aiming to whack Fernandez behind her. James, dazed, keeps his eyes on his boots, while beside him Aggy tries hard not sniffle, turning her cheeks red.

Fernandez releases her and nearly sends her falling on the marble. "Make it quick, Captain."

"I'll come with youuu, Eleanorrre."

Eleanore turns to her right, only to find Eugenie, herself evading her captain's eyes, trying her best to hold a crying Torkin in her trembling hands.

She takes a deep breath, running in her mind all the reminders they still need to keep, but when Torkin sniffles and wipes his tears with his bright red feathers, the hot tears she has been refusing fog her eyes again.

"Oh, you." Eleanore presses a knuckle to her eye and pats Torkin's tiny head. "I'll worry about you if you come, Torkin. Just stay with Eugenie, alright?"

Torkin shakes his head. "I prrromised to your ancestorrs," he sobs. "I prrrromised."

Eugenie hangs her head, but hastily swipes her sleeve over her eyes.

"I..." Eleanore frowns, biting her bottom lip, unsure how to begin, losing precious time. She blinks back her tears instead and decides she would give them hope, even for the last time.

"Hey." She cups the girl's cheek and brushes Torkin's tiny neck... and at that moment, her own mother's voice whispers in her heart to lend her the words. "You do not have to worry about me. I will be alright. You, you must think about yourself and the whole crew. Bien?"

Eugenie trembles. "B-bien," she whispers, "bien, Capitaine."

Torkin scowls. "Noooo."

Eleanore sighs.

"Smith." Uriah plods to them. "Smith, this is not—"

"I'm afraid it is."

The old captain gawps at her. "You can't Smith," Uriah rasps, holding her by the shoulders. "You can't. You'll be all alone there—" He chokes, and it takes all of her willpower not to fold and crumble in his grasp as well. "If Sparta loses her captain, it is all over. Smith." Uriah pleads. "We need to think this through."