*Chapter Ninety-Seven: Devotion

Content Warning: Mild mature content ahead (*)

~*~

After spending what feels like half of the morning in splashing around the canal, both of them had run out of tales to spare, of jests and jibes, and strength to paddle. In fear of bull sharks lurking in the open sea, they swim back to the coast. Eleanore surrenders completely to the calm sea, closing her eyes, the waves no longer try to devour her. Her travails seem so distant in this sanctuary tucked safely between Haiti and Tortuga. She sighs and makes a promise.

Today, she'll forget her duties and mission for just one day.

He deserves that much. She smiles, stretching her arms out and tapping her fingers on the water. Anton had long since grown bored of paddling and opted to sit on the rocks to wait for her. In truth, she has been buying time until the blacksmith opens. And after that...

The sun beams and her face dries up. Eleanore winces, swallowing to wet her tongue and throat. She has planned to urge him to walk around Tortuga again, perhaps eat lunch with their friends or just the two of them...

But then he would probably be happier if he gets to do what he wants.

The strong breeze blows overhead westward. She smiles, looking up at the clear blue expanse above where streams of white clouds fly by. Is this what you feel like, Sparta? Eleanore muses happily, raising a brow at the ship resting far beyond the other side of the harbor. You're very brave. Floating on the water like this... at the guidance of your helmsman and the sea, the wind...

A long sigh escapes her. As much as she wants to rest, even drifting for so long is annoying. As if the ship has a choice, she smirks. I guess I should be thankful that I have a choice, unlike her---

Black smoke trails over the clear blue sky.

Her eyes widen. "The smithy! Oh!" She kicks, and loses her focus, plunging deep down.

Blob. Blob. Blob.

The sea gurgles around her and sucks her under. Eleanore scrambles to recall all of Anton's reminders and waves her arms, paddles her feet upward.

Stay calm. Stay calm...

She closes her eyes. Her heart hears her command and willfully slows down its pace. Letting the sea embrace her, Eleanore lifts her leg to swim---

Until warmth flows in her veins.

Eleanore opens her eyes and stops a gasp at the last second. Strings of white light thread every ripple, every sway of the water. Fishes whiz past by her feet, and the reefs along with seaweed glow in dazzling colors, almost glowing---

Firm arms hook her by the armpits. She blinks.

Splash!

They break through the surface. Eleanore gasps for air and brushes her wet hair away from her face. "Eleanore?" Anton asks, behind, turning her around. She shakes her head and tries to breathe, but accidentally sucks the salty water up to her nose.

"Gah." Eleanore spits, coughing. "Did you see that?" She pats his chest, pointing down.

Anton frowns. "And here I was worried you drowned. Don't do that again! Tell me that you'll be diving or I'll come fishing you from the depths!"

While her addled mind last night had blurred images entirely, she hasn't forgotten that he had berated her like a child before taking care of her. She crosses her arms over her chest. "Oh, stop talking like that! I'm tired of hearing it!"