Chapter 118: Home

"Captains' wenches!" Aggy kicks a cobblestone and throws her hands in the air, sending some curious looks their way. Eleanore wearily glances at them, dragging her feet behind her, with one arm clinging to Aggy and the other linked with Thibaud. He raises both brows as Aggy begins her tirade anew. "Captains' wenches, I tell you! They all think they've proven something by snogging the Captain! Arggggh!"

They are, aren't they. Eleanore lowers her eyes and rubs the ruby on her finger with her thumb. But how dare I...

I was once like that too.

"Aggy." Thibaud sternly calls. "Hey, be careful."

That sends Aggy thinking. "What? Oh," Aggy finally looks up at her again, remembering all that has been thrown at her way too. "Nel?! Come on! Captain Del Santo never treated you like his wench!" 

Yes. She assures herself, but bites her lip. He did marry me, right? That must count for something.

"I mean... rumors like to say so..." Aggy scratches her head. "But... I do highly doubt it. And! Vic also told me you never used your position in the Captain's heart to gain favor over the lot of 'em, right? You even worked hard in the galley with the old cook---"

Back when I was still living a safer life under my Captain's protection. Now, she is out here on the streets of Tortuga, facing leering, mocking vultures and sharp-tongued snakes... still sorely unprepared without any of her captains to fend them off. Never had the sea felt so different now. On the sea, her authority remains unchallenged, her skill with the sword and tongue enough to win them victories - as bloody as those victories may be.

But on land---

She is nothing but a Captain's plaything.

Fuck that. Eleanore frowns and closes her eyes. "Let's just not talk about it, alright?"

"Well, she's just damn jealous!" Aggy clenches her fists, clearly wanting to throw her anger out at Isabelle and flinging it to the  townspeople who overhear them instead. "You got a ship, a title, and a husband who adores you! I'd say, she's hating every bit of you for what you have!"

"Granted." Eleanore embraces herself, keeping her chin high to let the feather of her hat artfully swirl upwards with the breeze. "That's why we shouldn't dignify people like that with an answer."

"Nel." Thibaud now looks at her. "What about your honor?"

"Exactly!" Aggy gapes. "She literally accused you of sleeping with everybody!"

Oddly enough, the accusation doesn't even bother her. She has far direr missions to see through. "And we all know that's not true," she assures them both, drawing them close just to comfort them. "What matters most is the truth that we know as a crew. The world can say all they want about me, I can never truly control what everyone thinks can I?"

Aggy sighs. "I guess so..."

Oh, Aggy. Their conversation some nights ago drift past by, and Eleanore wraps an arm around Aggy's shoulder. "Hey?"

"I'm fine." Aggy raises a hand. "She's a bitch, and I ain't giving bitches time---"

"Aggy..." Eleanore cups her shoulder. "You know that's not true. What you did... she didn't know the price that you had to pay." 

They stop walking and settle by a palm tree in the quieter beaten path off the slab stone walkway of the harbor. Aggy sniffles. "Yeah, well. I don't want anyone to know that price," she snorts. "She's an immature little shit, and I don't fucking care."