𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄

I think deeply about his question

I think deeply about his question. "I don't think so," I respond my voice a bit unsure. "But it would be totally reasonable for me to, because I've never had a good representation of what romantic love is supposed to look like. My dad cheated on my mom, on multiple occasions, he then cheated on his next wife with someone else.

My aunt left her husband to pursue her career, leaving him with three children, but started a new family with someone else. My uncle Cal has made me meet so many people he was seeing that I've lost count.

The only example of real love I ever saw was between my grandad and grandma. From what I've heard and the pictures I've seen, they were so in love, and that love didn't diminish even when my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer. The day she died, my grandpa couldn't take it, and he died days after. My mom used to tell me that he died of a broken heart. I never actually got to witness their love, I've only heard stories.

What I've been told they had, is what I want for myself, so although I may be somewhat scared of falling in love, I'm more afraid of not having what they had and settling for what my other family members had."

He listens intently, and once I'm done speaking he continues watching me. I look at the small lake in front of us and start to take off my dress, "Let's go for a swim," I say, as I try to unzip the dress.

He starts to get undressed to and once we're both in underwear only, he grabs me and as he's holding me bridal style, he runs towards the water. "Alessandro, put me down!" I try to tell him, in the midst of my laugh. Instead of listening, he jumps in the water with me still in his arms, and he laughs when we both emerge.

I shove him lightly and try to push him underwater, but it doesn't work and he laughs at me mockingly.

We stay in the water as he tells me about his family, his goals and what he wants from the future.

"We should probably get back to my place, it's getting dark." I agree, and we get out of the water.

In the car, Hanna calls me to let me know she is about to board and after we do a quick prayer, we say our byes, I wish her a safe flight and she ends the call.

"You're religious?" Alessandro asks beside me, and I turn slightly so I'm looking at his side profile.

"Uhm, yes. When my mom was alive, we used to go to church like every week, and going every week after she was gone helped me feel close to her, and was a way to talk to her. With time, I started actually believing in God and that's it. You?"

He looks thoughtful for a second, "I don't know. My grandparents are extremely religious, but my parents not so much. They still go to church sometimes, but it's not as much as my grandparents. When my sister went through . . . Some hard stuff, she found comfort in going to church and she's been really religious since, but I'm sceptical."

I nod my head, understanding, before he resumes, "Is it a deal breaker?" He asks, looking at me for a split second. "Nope," I respond, "I think things like religion are personal and I wouldn't want my partner to only follow that path to make me happy."

We make it the house he apparently owns, and I notice there's a car in the driveway. "Is that your car?" I ask, and once he notices it, he huffs, "No, that's my grandma's car. She has the keys to my place."

I halt. His grandma is here? I look down at my attire and all I'm wearing is a hoodie Alessandro kept in the car and my sneakers. My hair is wet and in bun, so I really don't look presentable. This is going to be the worst first impress I've ever given.

Before exiting the car, Alessandro quickly leans over, placing a hand on my thigh and kisses me.

I get out, and once he's by my side his hand goes to my lower back, as he pulls me into him a bit and leads me to the door.

Italian music plays through the house when we step in, and I want to sneak upstairs and change into something else but he holds me close and moves to the living room, where I see an older man on the sofa, and a woman next to him.

"Nonna, cosa fai qui?" He asks. The two people turn around and make their way to us quickly. "Alessandro! Amore di nonna! Come stai, amore?" He moves so he can hug his grandma, then his grandpa, but as soon as he's done he moves back to my side.

(Grandma, what are you doing here) (Alessandro! Grandma's love! How are you, love?)

"Sto' bene, nonna. Tu?" They continue a conversation in Italian, for a few seconds before his grandpa looks at me to give me a smile, "E tu? Chi sei?"

(I'm good grandma. You?) (and you? Who are you?)

"Buonasera," I say, extending my arm for him to shake, "Sono Angelica."

"È la mia ragazza," He lets them know and install for a second, but don't make too much of a scene. His grandma approaches me and pulls me into a tight hug, "Sei cosi bella, amore. Sono Nora." She introduces herself, and once she pulls away from the hug, I just smile. "È bellissima, Ale." She tells him.

(She's my girlfriend.) (you're so pretty, love. I'm Nora.) (she's beautiful, Ale)

"Lo so, Nonna." He pulls me to his side and kisses the top of my head, "Ci andiamo a cambiare e torniamo subito." He lets her know and drags us upstairs.
(I know, grandma. We'll go change and come back immediately.)

As soon as we're in his room, I turn to look at him, "Since when am I your girlfriend, Alessandro?"

He rolls his eyes, "Trust me," he says taking off his shirt, "It's better to tell Nonna Nora that you're my girlfriend to avoid any questions." He's completely naked now, and turns around to grab a pair of boxers from his luggage. He also takes out a pair of shorts and a hoodie and throws them to me.

I thank him and quickly get changed, taking some extra time to towel dry my hair. He sits on the bed patiently waiting for me to finish.

Once we're downstairs, his Nonna and Nonno are on the sofa, talking to someone on the phone. "Che pizza volete?" Enrico, his grandad, asks.

I let Alessandro know that I'll take anything, so he makes them order two margherita.

While we wait for the pizzas to be delivered, Nora bombards me with questions and I can't do anything but answer them.

She asks about what I do, my family - though I embellish the answer for that question - how I'm liking Italy.

When the food is here, the focus switches from me, to me and Alessandro as a couple. I let him answer most questions, because I wouldn't know how to answer.

When it's time for them to go home, Enrico pulls me into a hug and Nora does the same right after, also leaving a kiss to my cheek. As she moves a little bit away from me, she whispers "Welcome to the family, amore. It was great meeting you."

Her words in English ring in my ear like an echo, and all I can do until they close the door is wave and smile.