𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Hanna sits opposite me, on the kitchen island, watching me plate up the pasta I just made

Hanna sits opposite me, on the kitchen island, watching me plate up the pasta I just made. Maia is currently at her therapy session and Nate is hanging out with some friends, so I have a free house for a bit.

"So, Derek is back in the picture. . ." Hanna states, disgust  hidden in her tone. She has never liked Derek -  for obvious reasons - however, I have no plans to get in any sort of romantic relationship with him, so his vices don't bother me as much as they should.

"Yes, he is." I look up from the steaming meal for a split second, to look at her, before going back to the food, "But as nothing more than a guy who I occasionally have sex with - especially since the other guy who I did that with kind of ruined my life." I push the plate towards her, giving her one of those awkward tight lipped smiles.

She puts a forkful of pasta in her mouth and after swallowing it, she says, "Have you spoken to him, since the statement he released?"

I've wanted to, to be honest, on multiple occasions, but I have lots of pride, which won't allow me to pick up the phone to thank him.

Why do you need to thank him for fixing something he destroyer?

And to be honest that makes sense, but there's a part of me that wants to sit down with him and talk about all the events of the past month, since his business decided to tarnish mine. I want to hear his point of view, if his board of directors really was fully to blame.

Derek's words from two days ago come to mind again. After everything that happened, I shouldn't be surprised and usually I wouldn't second guess what he said. However, I don't believe him. I missed red flags with Alessandro, but that he was racist? That his treatment was due to the fact that I was black?

The micro-aggression-filled article comes to mind, but he said he didn't write that. Or so he says.

"I haven't spoken to him. But I should. Clear the air."

"I think you should, Angie. He's been seen a lot recently, and he doesn't look okay. Not physically or mentally."

It's almost September, so when I get to the store, kids and parents flood the place, getting school stuff for the new year.

I quickly get what I came here for, but on my way out I feel someone look at me, and when I turn around, I see Alessandro leaning against his car, looking at me.

Moving towards him, I feel my heart beat faster. I missed seeing him - as stupid as that sounds.

"Hey." I say, as I scan his features. His beard is a little grown out, he has bags under his eyes and he looks so tired. "Hey," he responds, looking a little taken aback that I approached him.

"How are you?" I ask, realizing this is more awkward than I thought it would be.

"I'm good. You? I saw Strip is getting more and more investors." When he mentions the club, he breaks eye contact and looks away. "I'm good. And yes, it's starting to pick up again. The damage isn't irreparable, thankfully. Thank you for saying the truth and for keeping my brother on the internship. It was his last day last week and he really had the best time."

He clears his throat, "Nathan is fantastic. He's going to do great things, that's for sure."

I nod in agreement.

"Hela, I really am sorry for what happened. You don't have to believe that I didn't have anything to do with it - but I hope you can find it in yourself to accept my apology."

I sigh, "I do, and it's fine. I think so, at least. I'm trying to let this situation go, for my own good and my mental health. Do the same, please. You look exhausted and as shitty as things have been, between us recently, I would never want you to suffer. Even though I did pray that you would, for a little while."

Finally, he smiles and the simple gesture warms my heart.