𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

I left Miranda in charge of my case

I left Miranda in charge of my case. At this point, I no longer care what happens. My main focus is Maia, especially because I know that, right now, she needs all the support she can get. The support that was never given to me.

I look at her peacefully sleeping, after long hours telling me, Nate and Ro what happened.

Earlier today, after school she was approached by Mark - our dad's friend - and he told her he needed to get in his car. She initially refused, knowing how dangerous he is, but he threatened to out her to our parents.

"I know about your little girlfriend, Maia. If you don't want me to tell mommy and daddy, you'll get in the car."

He grabbed her arm, giving her no choice, and proceeded to pull her to the passenger's seat. He made random conversation with her, which she didn't reciprocate. He parked by a park and started to touch her leg in a way that she clearly stated made her uncomfortable. His response was, "The only reason you're with a girl is that you've never been with a real man."

He aggressively kissed her and tried to unbutton her pants. I don't know how, but she managed to escape to a hidden part of the park.

She thinks her phone must have fallen as she was running.

Rochelle, who was waiting for her, for their date, called her multiple times with no response and got worried because it's so out of character for Maia to go missing with no explanation. Thankfully, she also called Nate, who managed to track her phone to the park. It took about an hour to find her, crouching on the ground, rain pouring on her.

I'm glad she trusted us enough to tell us, so that now (or when she is ready) we can put that monster behind bars.

My phone starts ringing and I step out of the room to answer. "How is she?" Hanna asks from the other line. "She's okay, she's just resting right now."

"I've just been contacted by Alessandro - I don't know how he has my phone number - but he asked me to pass on a message. Do you want me to tell you?" He's the last thing on my mind. I haven't thought about the case since yesterday when I left the firm abruptly. "Can it wait 'til later?"

She agrees and tells me to wish Maia a speedy recovery. I told her she was hospitalised because she felt extremely ill.

As requested by Maia, the nurses take pictures of her bruises, which she asked to be stored with the results of the tests they did. Their mother is out of town for the month, so I plead for her to stay with me, for as long as she needs.

She's reluctant but she agrees. On the way home, we stop at my old house to get necessities for both twins.

The ride from the hospital to home is quiet and no one attempts to start a conversation.

Rochelle stays for some hours to keep Maia company, but the latter remains quiet, as expected, and eventually, Ro needs to go back home.

I take some food up to her room and ask if she wants me to call her mom. She simply shakes her head no.