𝐓𝐄𝐍

The woman lying beside me stirs in her sleep, as I get up to go to the toilet

The woman lying beside me stirs in her sleep, as I get up to go to the toilet. This is the third woman I've slept with, in the last three days. This has been a recurring thing since I left Angelica's apartment weeks ago.

I tried to argue with my lawyers and the board to release a statement saying the truth, but no one is willing to do so - even though Angelica may have evidence that shows that they lied.

So, yesterday, after talking to Antonio Rocco, one of my father's closest advisers- before he passed away - and hearing him say what everyone else was, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I contacted one of the journals that had a lot to say about Angie and me, and sent a statement to clear the assumptions:

A lot has been said about myself and Angelica Thompson, who although I haven't known for a long time, has done nothing but be respectful to me and my business, whilst DeLuca's PR team and board of directors has continuously tried to destroy hers.

Angelica didn't harass me, she didn't try to have sex with me without my consent, and for people to lie about an issue this important is completely unacceptable.

The statement released by DeLuca Enterprises is completely false and we'll be taking complete responsibility for the damages caused to Strip or Angelica Thompson.

My phone is blowing up, but I just turn it off, knowing it's my team.

I go to my gym and work out for about two hours, letting out all my built-up frustration. Images of Angelica with Derek Russo yesterday, walking out of a restaurant flash in my mind.

I understand that I have no hold on her, but seeing with Derek really pissed me off. I know that there's little to no trust, on her part, as she's shown me, by asking me to keep her brother on the internship.

I've never seen myself as an unfair person, quite the opposite, actually. Something about her thinking I'd let her brother go, after witnessing how good he is, and knowing how great he'll become, hurts.

For years, I've been referred to as many things, and the way I'm portrayed in the media isn't positive at all, so what a woman I've known for a two thinks about me shouldn't bother me, but it does.

When I walk into the kitchen, fully dressed, I notice someone on my sofa. The recognizable slim figure is typing away on her phone until she hears my steps approach. "What are you doing here, mom?" She moves closer to me, just enough so that I can hug her and kiss her cheek in greeting. "I came to check up on you. I was surprised when a woman I've never met before was sat at the kitchen island. I think I scared her because she ran away before I could introduce myself. Anyways, how are you doing? I saw the statement. It was actually you this time, right?"

Nodding my head yes, I make my way to the cabinets to make my food. "Baby, have you spoken to this woman? DeLuca basically destroyed her business -I've been looking at their numbers - so, have you talked to her? Tried to apologize?"

"Mom, I tried. But I don't blame her for not wanting to see me. The stuff that was published about her, by us, and the way they attacked her online. . . I'd find it hard to forgive anyone who did they to me or my family. I fixed it. There's nothing else to do."

She walks closer to me, kissing my cheek lovingly, something she's been doing since I was little. It was a way for her to comfort us.

"Your father would be proud of you, for not allowing the business to take over your morals, sweetheart." I move myself away from the comfort of her embrace. "Would he be proud that it took me this long to do the right thing? That an innocent person's reputation had to be completely tarnished before I spoke up? I don't think so, mom."

She looks at me with sad eyes but understands that I don't need her comfort right now. Just space.

When I turn my phone back on, notifications flood in: missed calls, texts, emails.

As I scroll through them, my phone's screen goes black and Derek's contact appears on my screen. I answer, ready to tell him to piss off, but I'm taken aback when instead of hearing his annoying voice I hear soft cries.

When Derek says, "Angie, I hate to see you cry over a man like Alessandro," I know who the woman is. "He cares about himself only, okay? He was raised in that environment, I can't blame him for seeing himself as better than other's - especially black people - when that's all his parents thought him."

"I spent so long building Strip, and now every investor I had has left, and the plans to expand have all gone in the trash. I don't care about his futile statement when it's not changing anything." His words seem to register a while after. "Wait - Derek - how do you his parents?"

The man clears his throat, "Well, I worked with him for a while and it was always the same story. Everyone was invited to events but me, who coincidentally, was the only black chief officer."

I listen to the man feed Angelica lies about me, knowing I can't do anything about it.

I'd love to tell her that every word he's saying is bullshit. That I'm reality he's my cousin, and that he's bitter because he was stealing money from the company during his role as the CFO.

Her soft cries break my heart and all I want to do is take away the pain I caused her, but I know the best thing to do for her is to give her space.