𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

During the night, Maia sneaked into my room and slept on my bed, hugging me tightly

During the night, Maia sneaked into my room and slept on my bed, hugging me tightly. I kept silent, and hugged her back, as I listened to her crying into my chest.

She didn't need me to tell her she was going to be okay, or that she'd get justice because none of those would help, and neither of those sentences were a guarantee. The justice system continuously fails victims, especially black women, so there is no certainty that she'd get justice.

I let her hold on to me until she fell asleep, and as she slept.

Currently, I'm in the kitchen, making breakfast for the twins before I make my way to work, trying to salvage what's left of my club.

The twins eventually come downstairs, and we eat in silence. Both I and Nate want to ask Maia how she's doing but don't want to overstep or be insensitive.

The August sun shines brightly outside, and I ponder on the thought of disregarding my failing business and staying home with my siblings, enjoying each other's company. However, I know Nate has his internship.

I ask Maia to come with me to the club, and I'm surprised when she agrees. Together we drop off Nate and make our way to the club. We get in from the back door, that leads to my office.

We sit in silence as I do work, and she completes her summer project.

I throw glances at her every once in a while and sometimes catch her staring at the window, and have to bring her back. By 3:00 pm, the both of us are tired of these four grey walls and decide to go out, before picking up Nate from DeLuca Enterprises.

On the drive to an ice cream shop, Maia starts talking. "I was thinking. . . " She's nervously playing with her fingers, "Would you mind if I start talking to someone, like a professional?"

"Of course, Maia." I respond with no hesitation, "I can help you look for someone."

"Thank you, Angie. I know I've been kind of a burden the past couple of days -" I stop at the red light, and look at her. "You are not a burden, Maia. What happened to you isn't a burden. Okay?"

She nods. "I can pay part of it. Just not all. I'm not ready to tell mom, so I can't ask her, so would you mind covering the rest? I don't know exactly what I'm going to be talking about, but I don't like the way I feel, and I need to talk to someone without feeling like a burden. Since it happened I've taken more than five showers a day. I feel dirty. I can still feel his hands on me. I know it's not like I got raped, but-" I stop her, immediately.

"You were assaulted, okay? What he did wasn't ok. You managed to run, but that doesn't make your situation any less important. Okay?" She doesn't reply, so I continue.

"You don't need to worry about the cost. I can cover it fully. You're my little sister, that's what I'm here for." For the first time in two days, she smiles and my heart warms.