Inn

Kyran was slightly odd when we got in the carriage. He seemed quieter than usual and would look at me when I turned to look out the window.

"Why do you keep looking at me?" I finally asked him.

Kyran sighed, "Is it wrong if I say I pity you?"

"Well, I don't like being pitied so yes... if I wanted pity I would have begged to be released as soon as I got to this damned place... but instead, I planned an escape I'll never use anymore... I had so many plans, Kyran..." I look at him, seeing the expression on his face still solemn.

"Did you ever want to go anywhere?" He asked, and fiddled with his hands.

"I wanted to go home." I told him, "But it's probably been burned down. Can't do anything about that." I didn't realize I'd chuckled till it had already left my mouth, frowning at it, "I just worry most about Kara now."

"Kara will be fine, she's just a little sick." He blew it off and looked at me, "but Hana... Hanany, isn't there anything else. Didn't you ever even dream of getting out of that place as an adult?..." he leaned in and whispered, "Or you know get married?"

Leave or marriage? Neither of those had gone through my head, mother had mentioned marriage, but I always looked past it, "No Kane, I was illiterate, I could sow and make clothes. I didn't go much to the town, I didn't talk much to anyone. I was on my way to leading a quiet nice life."

"That sounds boring." He says.

I turn and shrug at him, "I didn't ask you."

He crossed his arms and leaned towards me, "You had no ambition, that was your problem. Now you have one, you're looking for your way out, all to get the good life you want."

I shake my head, "I had ambition then as well."

"And what was it?" He looked at me expecting me to say something. But I didn't know what to say, I turned away from him.

"Stop questioning me." I tell him, "stop making me remember what I don't have anymore." I say and continue looking out the window so I didn't meet his gaze.

Kyran was butting into my business today, much more than I was comfortable with today. Everything he says just sends me into memories of home.

My ambition, my dreams, my plans. They all came crashing down that day, and now he's digging up old memories.

Makes me just want to jump out of this carriage, such an urging feeling to want to disappear.

Beginning to fiddle with my hands I looked down at my fingers. Although tall the wounds were sealed, the scars never went away. Some of my hair won't grow back. And it becomes hard to look in the mirror. I want to just ignore them, believe they aren't there and everything is fine like it used to, but that just makes it hurt all the more.

Kyran had grabbed my hand all of a sudden, when I turned and looked at him he was staring at me, "Hana... I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry." He did look apologetic, but I just have nothing to say.

I frown looking at the floor of the carriage hearing him continue, "I know my curiosity is nothing more than an annoying pest to you. I'll try and be less curious about it..." he leaned back on his seat, letting go of me as he stared out the window, "If you want to stop the ride for today that's fine we can, we have time to spare... if you don't want me here I can ride outside till you cool off..."

I shake my head, "it's fine." Even if it was evident it wasn't.

He frowned looking out the window as I turned and looked the opposite window. This trip was barely starting and already felt like it was lasting too long.

By the time we arrived at the inn, I wanted to hide in a ditch. But as we got out of the carriage I put up a smile on my face.

Kyran grabbed my hand and we walked into the inn like the couple we were supposed to be. I smiled widely at him, feeling as I was getting stared at.

Quickly someone came to attend us, smiling, "You must be Mr. Kane, I presume this must be your wife Mrs. Hanany." He bowed slightly before stepping aside to show us the inside, "This way please, I'll show you the room you'll be staying in."

We followed after the young man as I looked at Kyran confused as to why the boy was being so formal. Did he perhaps use a noble's name? Or some special title? I thought he didn't want much attention.

I lean over closer to him and whisper, "Why so many formalities?"

"I'll explain in the room, love." He said, making sure that the last word resounded louder than the rest of his sentence.

Love? That word makes me feel horrid in this situation. This stupid little fake love game was not what I would like to be doing. But tomorrow we go. Into the mountains, tomorrow things start getting tough.

The young man opened a door and let us step inside, "This will be your room, please let us know if anything isn't to your liking, we'll do our best your stay here is the best."

"This is fine." Kyran said, "I'd like some privacy, it's been a long trip."

The young man quickly understood, excusing himself and quickly leaving.

Kyran only let go when the door closed, looking at me as he turned over to the sofa, "They think we're famous researchers, our names carry weight."

"Our names?" I question, wouldn't that take time to build up? Or at least arise suspicion if it just suddenly comes out?

"Well, my name to be exact." He said, "I have many street names with different purposes, while I'm Kyran at the castle in the streets I can be Kane, a famous researcher, or William, the noble who's known for only good investments. There are other names I can use all with different purposes."

When he explained that it did make sense. Building up random names, it would be hard to notice as long as he doesn't meet the same people.

"What If you get recognized as some of your other names?" I ask, surely he has a backup plan.

"That won't be a problem. I try and keep different personalities with each name, along with different clothes, and even using magic to change hair color or eyes. Hana, I'm not stupid, and besides people never pay that much attention unless they're in love." He took the jacket he wore off and leaned down on the sofa, "Are you hungry?"

I shrugged, "Not particularly... Kyran aren't you worried?"

"Call me Kane, don't let it slip." He said, and looked at me, not even sitting up as he did, "And no, I'm not."

"But-"

"Stay call Hanany." He spoke, and used his arm to cover up his face, "Get some rest if you're not hungry. Tomorrow we head out."