Sewing

She didn't mention anything about the howling winds even after coming to see me each day, but I started to notice bags under her eyes. Was she not sleeping well? Was there something I should be aware of?

All my worries were pushed back when the maids came in pushing a wheelchair. I had never seen one in my home town before but I'd heard from people that they were a useful thing to have for those who could not walk.

The maid I would see each day who change my bandages was the one to help me up. And over time I'd learned her name was Keita. She'd been working here a while and belonged to a noble family. I still didn't quite understand why she'd bother working here.

She sat me in the chair and stood behind me to roll me out, "We know you're still recovering but if we have you off staff any longer the prince might think you're good for target practice."

"He already used me for that once," I tell her.

She sighed, "Well, all the more reason to not stay still... a maid told me you can sow. Can you?"

I nodded, "I can, I don't know if I'll be able to hold a needle, however." We'd exited the building begging to head on our way elsewhere.

She patted my arm, "Don't worry about that, let's take one thing at a time. Luckily only the main building was burned and already nearly restored thanks to all the magicians his majesty sent... for now we'll be going to another part of the castle. It's mostly for workers like us."

I hummed while she spoke letting her know I was listening carefully as she went on, "There's a party his majesty wishes to throw for the younger prince... the king has grown old and frágil with the years... only a selected few can serve him close, and he doesn't leave his room much."

"Is he dying?" I ask not too kindly, too late to take it back.

"You could say that. He's sick, he used to be a strong and powerful magician... but now his body and mind are weak, I don't think he's used any magic in well over a year."

As she continued to roll me through the pavement, almost reaching the building she was probably referring to, I looked at my hands, all though I still wore bandages I'd been healing quite well and could move my fingers easily.

"Magic is a very beautiful thing... it's how he managed to protect the kingdom all these years... but now that the prince is in charge... he'll be crowned king soon, and I fear only more war is to come. He... he enjoys tone feeling of being in power I guess."

"You guess? Haven't you been working here a long time?"

She chuckled, "Of course I've been working here a long time, but even if you ask his mother, no one is quite sure what his goal is. When he started this senseless war we all thought he wanted to make the kingdom bigger and stronger... but as it has continued, he's annihilated all neighboring kingdoms, and every time he meets the troops just before they enter the castle walls..."

Her silence made me turn and look up at her, seeing her look back down at me, "What are you thinking?"

"I don't quite know. Maybe he's looking for something." She mumbled as she pushed the chair into the front door and continued in silence till reaching a room.

It was filled with lavish and expensive silks, ribbons colors I'd never even seen before. She propped me up in front of a table and handed me materials before walking over to another table and coming back with a paper in hand.

It was an elaborate-looking dress design, "We're making this, I need you to do the lower area while I work on the top. Sound alright Hana?"

I nodded and continued examining the dress, "How'd you know I'm experienced in dressmaking?"

She shook her head, "I didn't... why don't you tell me about it then? If you don't mind that is?"

I grabbed the needle and shrugged, guess this will be the conversation today, "I used to make dresses when I was back home. They'd take weeks sometimes, I liked making sure they were perfect for my customers." Putting the thread through the eye of the needle, "The pay I'd get from them would help make ends meet... I always wanted to wear them... but I knew there was no point in even having such an elaborate dress. Why would I even wear it, I was never invited to anything..."

"What about going into town?" She asked me, "Or maybe some carnival, maybe even those town parties to commemorate something. You could have used it for something like that."

I smiled, "I guess I could have... maybe it's because I didn't like going..." that was an outright lie. I couldn't afford to keep the dresses... even if I'd kept one I'm quite sure the townspeople would have laughed at my poor attempt to try and step up.

"Really? I love going to those big parties the town would throw and last days. Everyone dances the foods just marvelously." She giggled and moved around the place.

I didn't look at her concentrating my eyes on work while listening, "Must be nice... is there any you prefer?"

She hummed thinking about it, "The one at the end of the year. There's cool weather, snow on the ground, and strange fruits I can't get enough of."

I smiled, "Strange how?"

She seemed giddy to tell me because she rushed over and whispered, "Magic fruit."

When she spoke it's like she let out taboo words because she looked around for anyone listening in.

But magic fruit? I'd never even heard of such a thing, "What's it do?"

She puffed up her chest, "Well, believe it or not, I've practiced my fair share of..." she leaned and whispered again, "Magic." Before stepping back, continuing to speak, "I could even say I've nearly mastered the element of the wind."

I raised a brow, "And what's so special about it then.

She gasped, "Oh Hana, it's wind. From flying to even affecting the weather just look at the possibilities." She seemed to be staring at me, "Careful you'll poke yourself."

Hearing that I was reminded of how much warped she was to me comparing the first time. She'd short-tempered when it comes to things like magic like she expects everyone to know what she knows.

Keita leaned on the table, "What do you know about magic?"

I remembered my father's words on it, "It's a gift with endless possibilities."

She grinned at my words when I looked up at her, "That's right, and those who are not blessed shall have a different way to experience it."

I was bewildered at that, "Different how?"

She cocked her head to the side, "Do you really think the powders are made for magicians, powders are but a simple trick of the sleeve."