Dormant dragon

I glared daggers at him, if only I could kill him just by looking at him. But I can't do anything about it... Except blatantly lie. He'll eventually figure me out though. I can't keep making things up.

I'll just ignore him, yes, that's what ill do. I sit back down and stare at the wall for a while before growing bored out of my mind. Why do I have so much time on my hands?

"Are you done?" I ask.

"No," he answered.

I fiddled around with my nails and eventually grabbed a cushion beside me and messed around with the nicely done stitches it had. I guess I might have made too much noise because he walked over and took the cushion.

Threw it across the room and set the book down in my hands, pointing at a specific line, "Tell me what it says there."

I looked up at him, "Why?"

"Just tell me what it says. Can't you ever do what you're told without asking questions." he hissed and pointed at the line again, "Today please."

I stared at him with my lips pursed up, "Fine." I looked at the line, "The dormant... The dormant dra... dragon?" I looked at the line closely, "What dormant dragon?"

He smiled and took the book back, his hands were shaky but his eyes seemed to sparkle, what was he so excited for?

"This is great." He said.

"What is?"

He called me overtaking me to the drawer he had been messing around, "The dormant dragon, haven't you ever heard of it?"

"No," I admit.

"I thought you traveled." He said, "Did you travel under rocks or something to have never heard of the story before?"

"I was a commoner, your highness, forgive me but commoners don't exactly swindle and mess around with magic for the fun of it." I looked over his shoulder to see he had copied strange symbols... they almost seemed like words.

I heard him puff, he grabbed my hand and opened up a window, pointing out, "See that mountain?"

I looked out, he pointed at the peak of a mountain, it was so high up it was white, there might be snow there, "I see it."

"That's where the story says the dragon used to live. He sued to rule the land but suddenly disappeared. Some say he was killed while others say he's still dormant. Which do you believe?" He asks.

I couldn't help raising a brow, which do I believe? If that's the whole story there is to it, "I'd guess he's probably asleep... waiting for people like you to do the job of cleaning the land out for him."

He smiled puffing off his chest, "I believe he's asleep too. If he was dead I'm sure his body would have been used for magic..." he away from the window as I stood still.

I continued to look out the window, seeing that aside from the mountains it looked to lead to an enclosed area. Looked like a garden, it had its fountain, a row of trees... reminds me of town in a sense... not no one seemed to walk through it.

"Come here." He called.

Turning around he was holding up a map, "This map covers the whole land."

Where's this going?

"And you've conquered it all I'm pretty certain," I say, he nods and points at an area.

"All except this little thing. A small kingdom with many magical secrets... the witch...Thina... she wants to appease them, make them join us the easy way. It's the one good idea she's had. But she keeps putting up going for a later time. At this rate, I might have to go myself." He curls up the map and throws it aside, "But it'll all be mine soon, and with your little assistance I'll find what I want."

"And that is?" I look him in the eyes but he turns away, maybe, "Is it where the dragon sleeps?"

He grinned at me, "You're close... but no." He looked me up and down and scoffed, "Last time I saw you, you weren't so mandated up."

"Have you heard about the maid that went into a burning building?"

"Oh." That was all he said.

"Yeah, thanks a lot." I say spitefully, "To think it's adult tantrums what cause so much damage..."

I don't know what I expected from him but hearing him laugh I turned back to look at him, "What?"

He shakes his head, covering his mouth, "It's just kind of funny..."

"How?" My nose scrunched up.

"Who in their right mind runs into a burning building... well you could have used magic. Why didn't you?" He asks.

If I tell him I went in to get Kara he might try something, "I panicked... I thought someone I knew was in there... but that person died."

"Died?" He seemed interested, leaning forward to listen.

I scoffed, "It's all thanks to you."

He glared, what right does he even have to do that, "Many die because of me." He got up and loomed over me, "I have a bigger plan, one you could never under."

He tilted his head, "I'll call a maid, you'll keep working as one for the time bidding, can't have the witch know who you are."

Kyran turned and tapped a bell twice, "I'll call you when I need you."

When the maid he called arrived he grabbed my hand placing something in my grasp, "If you get yourself into trouble just use this and I'll be there soon..." he looked me in the eyes, "don't get in trouble."

I didn't say anything, turning to follow after the maid. He stopped me right at the door, "Oh... practice reading."

I sighed, "Goodbye now." Closing the door after me the maid began leading me out. I tried to keep track of the way, but the place truly seemed like a maze. If magic can make this so hard to traverse... what's the limit to what one can do?