Yes Ma'am

Wait! If the powders were a simple trick of the sleeve. Then what would be really powerful magic?

"Well have you ever done real magic?"

She smiled like she'd been complimented, "Of course I have." She flicked her hands mumbling something under her breath as the air started spinning on her palm, forming like a mini-tornado.

I gasped, "Can... can I touch it?"

She nodded seeing my excitement, "Sure."

She extended her hand to me and with my finger, I slowly went to touch it. The wind felt cold against my bandaged-up finger, yet I could feel how it put force against me.

I moved my hand away, "It's... it's so incredible." I couldn't believe I felt so cheery about magic.

"Of course it is. Do you... do you know any spells?" She asked me, the tornado in her hand disappeared quickly.

I shook my head, "Hadn't even seen such up-close magic till I got here."

She frowned, "Well... aren't you interested in learning?"

At her question it made me think. Did I really wanna learn this... or am I just doing this to escape, no real passion.

I looked down at the needle on my table, "I don't know."

She moved and stood beside me, "It's not that hard."

Wasn't she worried people would hear anymore? She seemed to talk so casually about this, "But I don't think people would act too kindly to me knowing that."

She eyed me confused, "Why would you say that? Everyone has the right to use magic. Besides..." she gave me a toothy smile, "I can keep a secret."

I felt on edge when she said that, I shook my head, "Well I'm not too interested in learning at the moment. I'll let you know if I change my mind."

She shrugged, "Suit yourself."

She went back to her work. Why would she tell me to learn magic just like that? Rune has told me to hide a magic book, even Nissa's said to not use magic in front of anyone.

I couldn't help but feel on edge about Keita. She did magic in front of me...

The door flew open and maids walked in, around five of them all getting seated in tables and begging to sow. Seems like there wouldn't be much talking for a while.

I got down to work, poking myself because of how much my hands would shake and the needle would slip.

But all of a sudden the room was quiet, not even the maid's hands were heard as they sow. When I looked up everyone had put their work down and began getting up. Keita walked over pressing a finger to her lips telling me to be quiet.

I set my work down and she rolled me to the line the maids did. We all stood looking at the door, what were we waiting for?

When the doors burst open a young man was at the door wearing a guard's uniform before he stood to the side and let a woman in. She walked in with a hand on her hips as she looked us over. I couldn't help look down at the floor.

She scoffed loudly, "So you're the only girls working on my dress?"

It seemed like everyone was afraid to answer. She gritted her teeth and spoke, "Are you all deaf! After all, there's even a cripple."

I clenched my teeth at that, could this woman not be sensible. One of the maids stepped up, "Yes Ma'am, we're the group that will be working on your dress. No need to worry we've already been doing quick work. It shouldn't be long before it's finished."

The woman tapped her foot, "Well be quicker, it should have already been done."

She turned on her heel, a screeching noise before she walked out the door and the door was shut. She was stomping her way elsewhere because you could still hear her steps.

Everyone seemed to breathe when her steps were no longer heard. Even I let out a deep breath I didn't know I'd been holding in. Feeling like I could move again. Keita grabbed me and wheeled me back to the table.

She dragged her chair over along with what she'd be working in. Whispering just loud enough I could barely hear, "She's the prince's fiancé. If there's anyone you don't want seeing you do magic it's her... if you're bad at it you might be let go with insults... if you show even a little talent in it... you'll be imprisoned and executed by the next day."

I swallowed hard, "...is she around often?"

Keita nodded disdainfully, "She normally is. But she'll be leaving for around a month, supposedly she'll be meeting with another kingdom... I heard she's trying to have them hand over their kingdom... but who knows."

She just wants them to hand over their land. Princes or not that's just ridiculous. And like my expression let her know my thoughts she said the next, "She always gets her way."

She clenched her teeth, "I'd only ever met her from afar before she was engaged with the prince. But I don't know much about her. She's just this blank silhouette... I don't think anyone knows her motives."

She sighed, "either way make sure to keep your distance."

I nodded and continued to work. I worried even more about even trying to attempt magic. Execution... wasn't that too harsh a punishment for someone that's barely even tried magic?

What if Kara attempted magic?! What if Rune did? I was worried to the point I felt someone tied a rope on my neck. If they even found out about the book... what would they do?

Damn it if I could only read I'd be able to know exactly what the book held. From what I knew it held information about magic in general, potions and powders... was there some kind of important spell?

As if Keita could hear my thought she grabbed my hand till I looked at her as she muttered, "Don't worry, it's very doubtful you'll have to be this close to her again. After all the main castle building is being reconstructed still... and I doubt you'd ever have to go there."

She sighed looking down bitterly, "That brand on your back ain't as bad as you think. It'll keep you away from the people that can truly hurt you... I'm sorry I brought you here today..."