Special

The incisive knocking didn't stop. It would get quiet before whoever was ok the other side tried again.

So I spoke so quietly, "Come in?"

And just the knob twisted. I felt a knot in my throat from anticipation. When I saw Rune come in I felt relieved, at least it's someone I know.

"Hana?" he asked before looking up to see me.

"What is it?" I asked and he quickly walked to my side, I quickly noticed his bandaged hand, "when did this happen to you?"

"You need to be careful Hana." he finally spoke to me, but the words leaving his mouth only worried me further.

"Why? What do you know?"

He huddled closer to me, "That man... The prince wants to know about you. He... He has Kara."

"What!?"

He shushed me and unsheathed a book from behind me, it looked tattered and broken in some areas, even having ropes tied keeping it together, "He won't do anything to her... It would be too obvious. Kara... She told me you have the bottle."

Hearing about the bottle I was slightly on edge, "Yes, what about it?"

"It's to conjure lightning." with that I heaved a sigh of relief, "and this book is how to use it."

Ah, damn it. All the relief I've had is like a joke because it's taken right back after, "why would I use it? I'd like to live Rune."

He still set the book on my lap, "don't you want to leave?"

I was quiet, did he notice I intended to leave from the start, "Rune-"

"With a slave branding you'll never be treated equally again... But this book can hide that brand... It can't heal it... But it sure can hide it." he explained and looked back at the door whispering now, "I can get you the materials..."

I could see the fear in his eyes, "Rune... Calm down."

He shook his head, "I don't trust anyone." he pressed his hands together, "this book should not fall in their hands..."

He doesn't trust anyone yet he said he trusted me just a day or so ago, "Rune." I grabbed his hands, "Tell me what's wrong."

He shook his head, "I'm scared of that man..." I looked down at his hand.

"Did he do this to you?" I asked pointing at his hand, he slowly nodded, "Rune stay away from that man, keep your head down."

"That doesn't work." he said all of a sudden, "He keeps an eye on me... The other workers also keep an eye on me... I can't escape."

I frowned and squeezed his hand, speaking without thinking too much, "We'll leave Rune... We'll get out. There's bound to be a weak spot."

He leaned over and pressed his head to my hands, "But Hana-"

"That's it for today." I spoke softly, "It's late Rune, people will be suspicious."

He seemed hesitant but nodded, "I hope you get better."

Turning around he walked out the door, closing it quietly behind him. I looked at the book he left on my lap, my fingers tingling wanting to open it. But the way my hands were bandaged made them bulky and hard to flip the pages.

Writing it a while for a moment I managed to open at a random page. The page that it opened up to had a small title at the top. But I didn't know how to read much. I'd never needed it in the past.

As I tried to decipher what it said I mumbled, "Po...poti...potion.... bre... brewing."

So it wasn't just about the weird powders... at least that's what I understand. I saw small drawings on the pages along with more written information. But I didn't want anyone to walk in this late at night to find me with a mysterious book.

I blew out the candle beside me and tucked the book under me. Managing to fall asleep until the opening and closing of doors woke me up.

I sat up in bed, feeling the book under me. I looked down to make sure no one could notice it under me.

The door opened up and a maid carried a tray of food in, when she saw me awake she smiled and placed the food on the bedside, "It eggs with rice, I also brought a bit of bread."

"Well thank you." I said grabbing the plate as I saw her stand there a while longer, "Is there anything else I need to know."

"Miss..." she went silent fiddling with her fingers that's when I noticed a burn on her leg, it probably went all the way up her skirt, who knows how bad it was, "I... I was one of the people you got out of the fire..." she bowed her head, "I'm sincerely grateful."

I looked at her in pity, she was so grateful while I regretted everything I did then, "It's fine... besides you didn't come out scott free."

"But it is still thanks to you that I came out at all... please believe me I am sincere in my words... If the time comes where you need anything from me, please don't hesitate to miss."

I frowned while she still held her head down, "What's your name?"

"Lela." She said in a heartbeat.

Smiling towards her, "I'll keep your words in mind."

She gave a toothy smile before walking out of the room. I looked back down at the meal begging to eat, I wondered if Kara would come. I kept thinking back on the book under me.

If only I could read it, I'd be able to use it... maybe it really could help me hide the brand... maybe even help me leave this place. I moved a little hearing the bottles in my pocket clink together.

I sighed, setting my empty plate back on the bedside table. It just all felt so lonely and quiet. I felt useless in a sense. I couldn't get up, my legs were tightly wrapped and hurt when moved.

But just as I was getting used to the quiet the door opened and two maids came in with bandages and water in a bowl. One stood at one side and the other on the opposite end.

"We'll be changing your bandages." They told me. And quickly began undoing the bandages of my legs as yet another maid walked in. She carried a bottle I quickly noticed was a potion she carried.

She poured a bit in a cup while handing the rest to a maid and walking up to me, "Drink this." She said.

I eyed the liquid, "What's it do?"

She placed it in my hand, "Well toucan drink this and the bandage changing won't hurt. Or you can not and be in pain." She explained shortly.

I sighed inwardly and drank the contents, I couldn't help still being suspicious but just watched them remove the bandages. My legs looked bright red and swollen and didn't feel as they rubbed part of the potion on my legs.

They were so quick at their work that they were already bandaging my legs back up. And then they came to unwrap my arms. They looked just like my legs, and I could see the blisters in them.

When they were done two exited while one stayed, "We brought a change of clothes."

I didn't think much of it till she reattached to pull at my dress. I stammered away, "No... I can do it myself."

I was pretty darn sure I couldn't, but if she moved me, she'd see the book and probably hear the bottles clinking.

"And how will you do that young lady, you're burned all over and can't even move right." She scoffed and went back to grab my clothes.

"Just give me a minute for me to try." I pleaded, I just needed to hide the book and bottles somewhere as she helped me change.

She pinched her nose and rubbed her forehead, "I'll leave you privacy for a moment, if you can't manage just call me back in I'll be by the door."

The lady turned and walked out as I quickly grabbed the book from under me and the bottles to stash them under my bed. This feels so childish but it's the only thing I can reach.

I began trying to pull my dress off me, but not being able to get a grip on it I couldn't even get it over, "I need help..." I said defeated.

The lady walked in shaking her head, "You know it's alright to need help."