Rat

Hana's POV

I'd been in this building for well over a week now... thankfully I'd managed to see Kara, she's not doing too good, however. And it's my fault...

Nissa had been too busy to talk, I haven't even caught a glimpse of her. But Kara told me, that when she spoke to Nissa, she was surprised about the barrier the prince had. What caught her attention, even more, was the fact that we hadn't used the materials she'd prepared.

Kyran had not called... I suppose he was busy. But Rune, Rune was quite giddy after talking to me that day. He'd constantly look for me, and had even taken the time to teach me a few tricks.

Keita... she'd left. I still don't know why but she just wants here. I wonder if something bad happened. Maybe... no I'm probably just worrying for no reason.

I sighed and pushed myself out of bed. Recently two other girls moved into this room. They were rather quiet, keeping to themselves.

But granny was always sweet with everyone. She accepted me into this place that first night. And had been looking out for me since. However, I always noticed how tired she seemed, dragging her feet across the floor at times. She'd do basic cleaning most of the time.

And honestly... she reminded me of mom. Always calm and collected, even if the stove was on fire she'd calmly put it out... I'm sure Kara would love to talk to her.

I got dressed quickly and walked out of the room, greeting granny in the kitchen as I helped her prepare breakfast.

She smiled at me and handed me a plate, "Eat this." She said.

Looking closer at the plate I noticed it was cake. When did she make this?

"I made it late yesterday." She said and handed me a spoon as well, "There's not enough for everyone so eat up."

I giggled and started eating, yeah... this reminds me of home. When I finished I cleaned the plate up. And continuing to help out I spaced out.

Feeling lost until a tap on my arm broke me out. Granny was smiling, "You've worked hard, go eat Hana."

I nodded, setting myself down to eat... I can't help but think and feeling that this is home is wrong. I'm scared I'll forget what my real home was like.

But no! In three years I'll be free, Kara will be free, and Rune will even be with us. I closed my eyes a moment, picturing the moment...

Opening them back up I looked at my hands... they were so many scars. So many wounds I've suffered since the ran from home. My legs were covered in these same scars, and my back... well, that damn brand is still there... I doubt it'll ever leave.

Moving my hand to touch that part of my back I sighed. Granny sitting in front of me with a look I'd grown to know all too well, "Stop thinking about that." She said.

She obviously meant the brand... but it's still a little difficult to believe she has one. I looked at mya em instinctively, my eyes landing on the snake mark instead.

I have a deal to uphold, and I'll make sure to keep it, I have to for the sake of Kara...

When I stepped out the door my name was called, I'd expected a butler or maid to be the one calling me. But that voice was undeniable.

Prince Kyran stood idly by, waiting for me to turn and greet him at his call. But remembering our last meeting... I was bitter.

"Good morning, Prince Kyran." I greeted, with a plastered fake smile on my face.

He held an equally fake smile that never reached his eyes, walking past me, "Follow me."

Walking behind him with my hands on my back I held a stoic expression. Not letting anyone see how annoyed I really was at his presence.

If I could knock him over the head I would, if I could scream at him in public, I would... but we have a contract, and if those that follow him were to see me being disrespectful... well I'm sure I'd lose my head.

His steps coming to a halt at the guard's building, and there he stood to wait. Speaking under his breath for me to hear, "We're going out today... I have somewhere to be... and I need you to read something out of the book."

I nodded my head, not saying a word.

When the face of a guard I despise came out. Sloan... if he's not seen me the night I tried to run away back at the slave's establishment I'd probably forgotten all about him. But how to forget the person that caught you and made sure to punish you?

He smiled at Kyran, "My lord, you called for me?"

Kyran nodded and turned around, "We're going out."

Sloan hummed and walked after him, his eyes falling on me when he noticed I was trailing behind them. He looked annoyed at first... but then amuse. That... that really worried me.

"I see you brought a pet." Sloan chimed and walked slower to begging walking beside me, "Oh... I know you. Little slave girl... the rat."

"Quiet Sloan," Kyran warned his face showing little emotion. Turning to meet Sloan's gaze, instantly quieting the man.

He huffed before picking up his pace again, whispering something I couldn't hear. But Kyran's change of expression made it clear it was nothing good.