Shadow

I shrugged, if that was the way things had to be done then we'd have to. I sent her back to the carriage when the wolf arrived and performed the spell.

It all went perfect, sighing in relief as I stretched back, my eyes focusing on the black shadow that entered the building from the hole in the ceiling.

Gritting my teeth as I took out a powder from my pocket throwing it in the air as a bright light flashed across the sky. I grabbed Sloan's hand, "We need to get out of this house, now."

I looked at the wolf whose eyes had gone black, looking lifeless. We all rushed out of the building having ordered the wolf to follow. But by the time we reached the carriage I didn't hear the beast breathing behind me anymore.

Sloan and I turned to look at the shadowy thing that had grabbed the wolf, covering it whole as a snap was heard. Just as soon the shadow disappeared, leaving the corpse behind.

Clenching my fists I was about to walk over when Sloan pulled me back, "Leave it, your Majesty... We don't know if it plans to come back..."

I growled and huffed, "You saw how to do the spell right?"

He nodded, "Yes!"

"Good, you're going to get a couple of soldiers... And try it as many times as needed till a damn mutt survives." if whatever that shadow thing is targeting the subjects I use, sooner or later it's not going to be able to. And if I can manage to get that shadow in a cage... Maybe it could be of use.

I angrily hopped into the carriage, my expression changing when seeing the concern in Hana's face. She looked away from me, "Did you hear?"

"It died... That's all I heard," she admitted.

I sighed, that's a relief, "Yeah... nothing to worry about we have... other subjects to use. Have you felt anything strange?" She shook her head, still refusing to look at me, "If anything seems off, be sure to tell me."

She seemed to consider my words and stared me dead in the eyes, "Don't you think that mountain beast and the dragon are connected... just think about it."

I raised a brow and heard her out, "Both have never been seen, at least not by anyone currently alive. So what if, just what if your so-called dormant dragon has been the mountain beast all along? Or do you have any information that can prove they are different beings? Maybe something you read or heard?"

I looked away, pressing a hand on my chin, it was something I'd not considered. Because I would never compare the dragon I held in such high standards with a mountain beast... but maybe she had a point.

"I can't remember anything right now. But Hana the dragon isn't a simple mountain beast-"

"Think about it Kyran, it's the perfect cover-up. The dragon surely wasn't known because he was stupid, or was he?" At the bold question, I shook my head, "If he didn't want to be found, then surely this might be one of his tactics. It's worth having a look."

I lean back on my seat, "Fine, we'll go into the mountain... I'll have to see when it would be a good time to go, however. There are more urgent matters at hand." I want to collect as much information as I can before I go and find out for myself.

"But I don't want to go. You can do this better without me." She said.

What? Did she fear not coming out of the places? I raised a brow, "It's your idea, you're coming."

She crossed her hands, "I won't be going, wouldn't it raise suspicion if your fiancé heard you're taking a maid with you everywhere?"

I nodded, "Sure it would, but that doesn't matter. She'll be gone too long, and by the time she comes back, I'll make sure she is not needed. My engagement will be broken and I'll be king."

"Your fathers not dead yet." She reminds me, almost sounding cocky.

"But he can't rule, he's sick, so naturally I'll become king." I say and grab her hand, "With your help, I'll even rule all the lands, and you'll be on your merry way to wherever the fuck you want. That's the deal."

She squints her eyes looking at me, "As long as you keep your word, I'll keep mine."

I smiled, "That's right, so where do you plan to go after?"

"After what?" She asks.

"After completing the contract. You're taking the kid right?" I question, that's right she's very fond of Rune.

"I'll travel the land, and go so far that your kingdom never reaches, across the sea. Where there are no dragon stories or magic or get in my way." Hearing her out I can't help but laugh.

"There is magic everywhere Hana, you'd have to go to some crazy and solitary village to try and find a place where magic isn't as prevalent. And across the sea? Really? Ain't that a bit much?" I release her hand and look her in the eyes, "What if I offered you a position? Maybe as an advisor, would you take it?"

"No." She said in a heartbeat.

"Why?"

"Because I don't want it, it's obvious Kyran." She crossed her hands up again, looking away, "I want to be free from this hell."

I sigh, "You're just angry... you'll change your mind."

She scoffs at me and points at herself, "When the scars across my body disappear forever will I only consider staying. And magic can do a lot of things, but it can never turn me back to who I was before my home burned down."