Magic

Kara looks around sneaking in a corner to bring out the little bottle Rune gave her w second ago. She handed it to me and whispered, "Hide this for me." she said then looked behind me. Seems like this was something really important, "I've seen magic Hana, actual magic. It's really pretty but..." she seemed to quiet down as if not knowing what to say, "It's very dangerous."

I cocked my head to the side, "What did you see Kara?"

"A man did magic... But... He was holding hands with a maid... After he cast the spell, she fell. And I haven't seen her again. Like she dispersed maybe she left... What if she's not feeling well?"

I was quiet. So a maid fell... The man they call 'prince' said he was running short on maids. Is this what's happening? Hmm, I should just concern myself with leaving this place, not with the inside problems.

"Nissa, she said they make was doing better, but... I think she's lying." Kara said this all the while always looking around.

"Kara I need you to be careful." I said, "We don't know this place, we don't know these people." we don't know who we can and can't trust, "so I want you to be careful, let me know if you see anything, but keep your distance from anyone who's not a worker. Especially the guards."

What I don't want is her near those damned bastards. I looked behind us and let out a sigh, "first thing tomorrow morning we'll talk. You need to explain to me what exactly this is." I said looking at the bottle before hiding it in my clothes.

She nodded and grabbed my hand, "Can you take me to my room?"

"Of course." we walked up the stairs quietly and I left her at the door. Waving goodbye as I walked to the room I'll be in. I'm worried, I don't like this place.

I wonder why Rune brought Kara here tho. Did he know someone here? Just what's going through this kid's mind. He seems like a sweet kid... But I don't know there's just something off.

For now, I don't think if anyone should know Kara and I are related, they know for sure we are at least acquaintances. And I'll keep it like that for a while. I don't want them to treat her differently for being related to me... Mostly because I've come in here as a slave and they aren't exactly too keen or happy about that.

Getting to my bed I sat down and fiddled with my fingers, there was already someone fast asleep while others were laying down now. I leaned my head back on the pillow looking at my bandaged hand, it didn't hurt much anymore. I could even lay on my back without feeling like hot water was dumped on my back.

But as soon as I closed my eyes I fell into a deep sleep.

When I woke up a woman was speaking loudly at the door, "Hurry now get up! Works not going to do itself."

We were all rushed out of bed and I along with the rest that was brought new were forced to make a line and handed a broom. They then sent us to different areas and as soon as I heard I was cleaning outside I saw heaven. Yes, the better I know them outside the quicker I can leave.

When I walked out Kara came up to me and I looked for a spot where we could talk without prying eyes, "So, going to tell me what the little thing is?"

Kara nodded her head, "It's magic."

I raised a brow, "it's a powder... How is it magic?"

She looked behind me for a second, "Rune said he'd teach me how it works. But he said I need to be careful." she leaned over to me, "The maids don't like anyone messing with magic."

I could understand why. Father said magic was a gift... But when I asked mom she said it was a curse. It was all fun and games when the caravans came and did their magic tricks when travelers put on a show... But when war breaks.

Magic is a horrible nightmare. As a commoner, we don't get taught much from what our parents teach us. So magic was not only of the gifted but even if you were lucky, you might never even know it. Because you could never try it.

"Don't you dare try anything?" I warned, "Magic is dangerous, even if Rune said he'd teach you to try nothing without me. Because if you make one wrong move... I might not be there to help you."

She nodded vigorously and I stood up, "One last thing before we go on our way. Tell no one we're related, the less they know the better."

She frowned, "But Rune knows we're siblings."

I sighed, "Tell him to keep it secret then, we won't the least risk possible alright."

She nodded one last time and stepped out of the area turning to wave at me, "I'll see you later. Bye-bye."

I waved goodbye and headed on my way. I was told to clean the greenhouse. Sounds easy enough... Right. I had to ask for directions and as soon as I saw it I gasped this is their greenhouse! It's so darn big.

When I walked in there were plants I didn't even know existed. But as soon as I saw the maids working I snapped out of my thoughts and got to sweeping. I need to check and see if anything in here could help with my escape.

As I swept through the place I kept a lookout. But when everything was done sweeping we had to grab scissors and start trimming any of the trees that needed it.

As I went around I was so intrigued by the different plants I muted everything around me. I shopped off any dry leaves it had stuck to it and any grass growing near it. Getting entertained with it, when I stepped back I bumped into someone.