Reading

When he left the room I could finally breathe and feel at ease. But when I turned to grab the book it was no longer there. He'd grabbed it for only a second I'm sure... Where is it?

I moved through the room, but it wasn't there... He took it I'm sure. I pressed my hands in my pockets... I'd shoved the bottles in them. Finding the blue one of ice and the purple one I was still unsure of.

No, I can't use it yet... I don't know who is in this building, I don't even know what building I'm in. I could be in the castle or some other screwed-up place.

I went to the door and tried opening it, locked it as I expected. I looked back down at the ice powder in my hand. I can do this... Yes, yes I can.

I poured a bit of it in my hand but as soon as I did it just disappeared. I instead poured it on the handle, but as soon as I touched it, it froze to the handle.

I looked at it in confusion. Why did that happen? There's not even any more powder left. I screwed it up.

I banged the door angry, yet just as my hand banged on the door the rest of the door froze.

I... I'm not going to question that. I turned and grabbed a chair beginning to hit the door with it, surely if it's frozen it should be easier to break.

When I banged a third time the chair completely froze to the door. Alright so now I'll question what the heck is happening. Is it because I didn't cast a spell and just won't with everything freezing?

I take a breath, "So ice, only broken when hit twice."

I let go of the frozen chair in my hands and lightly but the ice twice. It crumbled down almost instantly, and I could finally get out.

Poking my head out I saw the halls were empty. I tried my best to walk back towards the room Kara was in... She was fine right? Of course, she is, I can't doubt that.

But room after room... They were all empty... Opening the final door in the corridor I saw the symbol on the floor. It was the same one I saw when I cast the damn travel spell.

But Kara wasn't here either, she's not here...

I moved my hands up to my hair, pulling and tugging at it... Where is she? Did he already ask for her to be taken to the maid's building? I barely told him as he left this can't be...

Standing in the empty room the door was slammed shut... A voice I'd heard once before...

"Don't you know this room is off-limits for the maids?" her voice was as cold as always.

His damn fiance... I got on my knees, "Forgive me, Ma'am, the price has asked me to retrieve something for him."

"And what is that?" she questioned, almost like a hiss in her words... What a snake.

"He asked me to keep it secret Ma'am... Forgive my insolence for his highness words are the law." she didn't like my words, stepping on my hand... What's with these people. I'd been stepped on my hand the last month and a half more than I'd have in my whole life.

"Well aren't you a loyal prick." she grumbled over her breath, sighing loudly and walking back to the door, "Screw off then."

Getting on my feet I bowed to her one more time before rushing through the door. Damn crazy bitch.

I need to find a maid if I find a maid... I can find Kara, yes I can find her. But as I walked through this place I just became lost. Room after room, hall after hall, I can't find my way through.;

Opening the next door only got me caught, Kyran was leaning upon his chair, a cup in his hands as he twirled the liquid and waved at me, "Like the place?"

"Where's the book?" I questioned glaring at him.

"Right here." he pulled it up with a smile, "Didn't I tell you to stay in the room?"

"Didn't I ask you to send the girl away." I retorted.

"I did." he said, "So next time... Don't fucking leave the room." he threw the book at me which I caught but see my disbelief expression over what he said he huffed, "She's not dead... What worked about killing a little girl?" he paused, "Now... Read for me."

I am relieved... But I still have suspicions, "We agreed I'd only tell you the spell to find what you want-"

"No, no, no." he spoke over me, "That's what we talked about. The deal, however... You said it would be gains... Not gain."

"That's-"

He stood up, "Keep your word... I'll keep mine." he walked over and pushed me down towards a seat, "Get comfortable."

I sighed... Just call down Hana, he's just a slightly crazy prince... Slightly.

"Magic, potions, and powder studies." I began.

He leaned his head, looking over my shoulder, "So...is the book yours?"

His interruption made me lose my pace just as I'd begun to read, "It was a gift."

"It's old."

"It's special." I respond, "besides, I'm sure if you'd been the one who had received it you'd be just as happy as me."

He snorted, "Well you sure don't look happy."

I ignore him and continue reading, "Magic requires patience and fluent words in order to cast. Utilizing the ancient language makes all spells more potent. The ancient language is lost and only few words remain."

"I know a few words," he mentioned getting my interest.

I turn and look at him, "What's so special about that?"

He looked hurt like I'd cursed his parents, "Imagine casting a spell... Now imagine using a single word of the ancient language... The ancient language will make the spell ten times stronger."

Stronger? They were already something not to be messed with... Yet the ancient language made everything more dangerous, "How'd you learn it if it's lost?"

"Well you said it yourself, only a few words remain, now keep going," he demanded, continuing to lean over my shoulder.

"A single rhyme will cast a small spell, two rhymes a str...stringer spell and so on. In combination with powders, a spell will last depending on the amount. If the one using it can also do spoken magic it will be enhanced." There were blurred words I couldn't make out so I just passed to the next part, "Caution, cas...casting various elements or opposing magics together will most certainly blow and fail."

Again interrupted by him, "Shut up."

Didn't he want me to read anymore? Did he get sick of all my stuttering?

The door was knocked on and an annoying voice, "Kyran! Come out, I know you're hiding something."

He huffed, "Hide under the desk, I don't want her to see you."