Casting

Nissa handed me the paper, "keep this with you I'll be back. I just need to get the materials for the powder."

"What? You want to do this now?" I was surprised tho that would all be done so suddenly.

"It was hard to bring Kara here... Now is the only chance you'll get until who knows when."

I understood, but really, now of all times. I just thought she meant something like this week with all her talk. I lifted the sheets off my legs, pushing myself to stand on my two feet.

"I can help." kara said, taking my hand to help us walk around the bed and take out the book along with the two bottles."

"Let's think about the forest in front of home... We'll be back there... Of course no one after us... Just you and me." I told Kara. I remembered the good times we had there. How she'd climb the trees and run around laughing.

I took a deep breath, I just need to repeat the spell a few times to be sure, "The words you should use are as follows, To a far place, I shall leave no trace, where my past is erased, where I am free and be carefree."

I felt tingly, and my vision was covered... I thought it was just me until Kara spoke, "What's happening?!"

Her hand was tightly wrapped onto mine. The room around us turned dark until we both fell to our knees.

I felt short of breath. The floor had a symbol covering it. When I got on my feet I saw Kara was still laying on the floor. Going back down and shaking her, "Kara wake up."

I looked in the room we'd come to. It had lit candles but still felt so dark I could barely look past the symbol on the ground.

"Kara please wake up, I don't know what's happening." Shaking her I felt like my world was falling apart, why isn't she waking up!?

Hearing steps walk towards us I turned and looked up. My whole world felt shaken as the piercing eyes of the prince landed on me.

He seemed in deep thought before his expression turned grim, "So you dare try magic, more than that you dare try and escape."

I felt like I was suffocating, pulling Kara and covering her, what to say? What to do?

I felt a pull at my arm and looked up seeing he had knelt and pulled me up to grab the book I'd been holding.

He looked it over then back at me, "fancy book. Think I'll keep it."

I frowned, what the hell happened? I was in the room, I said the words and now I'm here. I still couldn't even process what had happened.

I didn't use the powder, I didn't even get the chance to see it. I didn't even draw out the symbol, what the actual hell. But that book, I can't let him have it. Rune warned me it shouldn't fall in their hands.

He looked down at me, "What was your name?"

Does he remember me, I never did give him a name though. Will he curse me or something if I tell him? I just couldn't come to utter a word since I saw him.

"She has nothing to do with this," I say.

He laughs, "Of course she's got nothing to do with this when you use her to cast magic. Just another disposable maid." He smiled down menacingly and began flipping through the pages his face changing to that of anger.

"What spell did you put on this!?" He questioned rather angry. Spell? I didn't even try casting anything till now and he thinks I put a spell on the book?

Recalling Nissa had grabbed it one day and told me to place a hair in between its pages... Did that have anything to do with it?

"I didn't do anything," I answer truthfully.

He huffed pulling me back up and dragging me away. No... Kara is back there, she's all alone, "Let me go!" I yelled.

Only to get shut up by something wrapping around my mouth.

"Now, I can't be seen dragging a little old slave like you, so keep your mouth shut." He pressed a finger to his lips, "now let's talk about that book."

He shoved me into a room and closed the door, as he casually sat down at a seat, the room had stacks of papers around. He flung the book at me hitting my side, "Read it to me."

I picked it up with shaky hands, "I can't read well." Walking slowly towards the door as I said this... Nissa will notice we're missing... but what are the chances she knows were here. She wouldn't even join us because she wanted to buy us time... now if she follows that she'll be caught for trying to help us.

He cocked his head to the side, "then read what you can."

Bringing the book up I fiddled to open it on a random page. Why should I read it?... if he can't and I can, wouldn't that give me the upper hand?

"No." No turning back, I gotta think quick on my feet.

"No?" He chuckled, "Read, now."

He doesn't know what's in this book, so I can make anything up...

"No..." what were the rumors about him... surely they could be at least a little right, "The spells in this book are far too dangerous to read them to you."

He glared at me, getting up, "Well start reading... and I might fix that pretty little scar on your back."

Did he see the brand? I looked him in the eyes, feeling like his presence this close would kill me, "The scar ain't my priority."

He raised a brow, "What does the book hold, and then we can talk about making a deal."

A deal... that's... no, why would he make a deal? He's obviously got the upper hand... I can't trust his words.

I squinted my eyes looking back down at the book... I need to play along, "It can give you the location of anything you're looking for as long as you have the item or person's name." That's right from what Niss said he seemed to look for something each time he went to meet his soldiers.

It was brief but there was a change in his eyes, "What do you want?"