37

21 Days After Part One

Steve's POV

I didn't even get a chance to speak to Nina before she left for her mission in Russia. By the time I left the conference room, after talking to Sam, and trying to get away from Sharon, Nina wasn't in our room. I checked the room across the hall, and she was fast asleep, so I didn't want to wake her. 

I spent the rest of the night, pacing back and forth in our room, deciding to wake her but I didn't. I must have fallen asleep at some point, because when I woke up, I rushed to her room, and she was gone. 

I tried calling, but I knew she didn't have any service in the air, but I left messages anyways. Pathetic messages. 

"Nina, please call me. We need to talk about this." 

"Call me back, it's Steve." 

"I love you, we can work this out." 

No word from her since she left. Not a text, call, anything. I don't know if she's too busy, undercover or what. I've been trying to keep tabs on their mission, but only Yelena has been checking in. 

I even tried talking to Yelena, when she would call and check in, but she would just say she had to go, and hang up. 

While I'm on the couch, I'm looking through all the texts I've sent Nina, and I groan. Throwing my phone on the other side of the couch, and rubbing my temples. 

"Steve, you need to come see this." Sam interrupts me, and he looks like he just ran up to me, and is distraught. I furrow my brows, and get up, running behind him to communications room, where Fury, Agent Hill, Sharon, Clint, Wanda and Vision are looking at me with sad, concerned eyes. 

"What?" I ask.

"You should sit down Cap." Fury answers, and I look around to everyone, unsure what's happening, and take a seat. 

"6 hours ago, Agents Petrova and Belova went MIA. We triangulated their locations to an abandoned warehouse, and found this footage, along with their recorded communications." Fury announces, and Agent Hill taps on her tablet projecting surveillance footage from across the street. 

I watch Nina walk into the building, switches cameras to show Nina taking the elevator, to another view of Nina fighting a couple of men, then a flash happens, crashing the footage. The screen goes black, and I know it switched over to the recordings. 

"Hostages secured. In pursuit of the package." Nina's voice starts through the speaker. 

"Nina, we've got an incoming missile coming in 5 minutes. Get out of there!" Yelena shouts on comms, but there's no response from Nina for a few seconds, and I feel my heart rate increase. 

"Kinda busy here!" Nina shouts, hearing punches being thrown.

"Now!" Yelena repeats. 

"Okay, I'm coming-" Nina's comms go out, and my stomach drops. 

"W-what happened? Where's Nina? Did they make it out?" I start to ask concerned, but Fury's eyes look into mine. I know exactly what it means.

"No, there's no way she's dead. She probably got out, and is laying low." I suggest, but no one says a word, already taking in the fact that Nina's dead. 

"Steve." Sam says softly, and I stand up, pointing at screen. 

"That doesn't prove anything!" I shout, and Fury drops his head. 

"We have a team out there now, trying to find any remains." Agent Hill chimes in, and I turn around, rubbing my chin. 

Sam puts his hand on my shoulder to comfort me, and I turn back around with tears in my eyes. I rush out of the room, feeling like I can't breathe, and take a deep breath when I hit the fresh air. I hit my back against the wall, and slide down until I hit the floor. 

I look to my right, seeing Sharon looking for me, and gives me a weak smile when she spots me, then stands in front of me. 

"I know you probably want to be alone, but I couldn't help myself." She starts, and I sigh. 

"It's alright." I reply, patting the ground next to me, and she joins me. She rubs my arm, and I let her. I have no idea what to think or how to act right now. 

"Steve, we've got word from our forensic team." The intercom announces, and Sharon jolts up, putting out her hand to help me up, and we run inside. 

Once we get back into the communications room, no one's faces have lightened up. I take a deep breath, and nod to Fury to give the word. 

"Agent Wall, go ahead." He speaks into the phone, and puts it on speaker. 

"We found a deceased body, and have a positive match on the DNA for Agent Petrova." In that moment, I feel my heart sink into my stomach, and my limbs feel weak. I feel Sharon and Sam hold me, and lead me into a chair. 

"Any word on Agent Belova?" Fury asks, and there's a pause. 

"Negative. We still have a team out looking for her." Agent Wall answers, and I sit there blinking, unable to hear anyone talking to me, I just see their lips moving. 

"Fury!" Someone shouts, and I get back into reality, listening. 

"Fury! She's gone. My sister is gone!" I hear her crying, and I know it's Yelena. My heart breaks, and breaks for Yelena losing both of her sisters. 

The call ends, and Sam has tears falling down his face, along with Wanda, sobbing into Vision's chest, but Clint just stands there. No expression, no reaction, just stands there. 

"I-I gotta call Laura." Clint mentions, and Fury allows him to leave the room. 

"Has anyone talked to Bucky?" Sharon asks, and I shake my head. 

"I got it." Sam offers, and takes out his phone, walking right outside, and I watch as he delivers the news to Bucky. He takes a deep breath before dialing, and drops his face into his hand. 

"Steve, maybe we should get you out of here for a while." I hear, and I turn to the voice, seeing Sharon trying to be sympathetic, and I nod. I take her hand, and she leads me out to her car, and we just take a ride. 

"I can't believe she's gone." I whisper, and I feel Sharon connect her hand with mine. 

"You'll get through this Stevie. I'll help you get through this." Sharon advises, and I nod, giving her a weak smile. I continue to look back out the window, watching us pass by millions of trees.