15

382 Days After

382 Days After

"How about Chinese tonight?" Steve asks, scrolling through his phone. I step out of his bathroom, unwrapping my hair, and throwing the towel at him playfully. He looks up and glares at me, I smirk at him, but he isn't amused.

"So? Chinese?" He adds, and I sit next to him on his bed.

"Yeah, sounds good to me." I reply, and he nods. I watch as he focuses on his screen to order us dinner, noticing his beard getting longer, and the ends of his long hair getting darker.

"What are you looking at Petrova?" Steve asks, and I look away quickly, getting up to put clothes on.

"Nothing Rogers, just order us some dinner." I defend, and he narrows his eyes at me, trying to get something out of me, but it's not working.

"Why don't we go out next time?" He suggests loud enough for me to hear from the bathroom. Once I have clothes on, as in underwear and a t-shirt, I step back out to see his gentle face.

"We just went out for dinner last night. Pizza down the street remember old man?" I reply, and I notice Steve's breathing fasten, as if he's nervous. I furrow my brows a little, and watch him shift in the bed.

"Like go out on a date." He adds, and I widen my eyes at him, and he shakes his head. I hope he's regretting the words he just spit out, but he straightens up in the bed. I chuckle, at his attempt for a joke, but the expression on his face says otherwise. 

"You're serious?" I ask, sitting down next to him, and his fingers travel to my cheek, towards my hair, tucking it behind my ear. 

"Why not? It seems like you're finally warming up to me." Steve answers truthfully, flashing a smile at me and I swallow.

"That's a bold statement." I tease, and he smirks at me. 

"Looks like you're rubbing off on me." He jokes, and I can't help but smile. 

"If this were a different life, or a different time, I'm sure it would be lovely to go on a date with you, but it's not." I comment, and he sighs, getting out of bed, and walks away from me.

"Why not? Give me an honest answer." He asks, and I shift, to face towards him as he's standing by the door. 

"My life. That's why." I answer, but my answer obviously isn't what he's looking for. He throws up his hands in frustration, as I rest my hands on my lap. "What? I'm being honest." I add, and Steve faces me again, resting his hands on his hips, and I dare to look down at his chiseled abs, and tone arms. 

"That's an excuse. We are in the same line of work, that doesn't mean shit." Steve argues, and I stand in front of him. 

"You really think a relationship is going to work? Especially with me?" I counteract. 

"What is that supposed to mean?" He counteracts, and I take a step towards him, putting my hands on top of his shoulders. 

"I'm no good for you Rogers. I'm not relationship material." I answer, and sit back down on the edge of the bed. "Plus, why me when there are many eligible women in the city, solider?" I add, and he chuckles.

"Because none of them say soldier as sexy as you do." He jokes, and I laugh, as he moves to sit next to me. 

"You ever been in love?" He adds, and I widen my eyes at him.

"You're not saying you're in love with me now are you Rogers?" I ask, half joking, half serious. Steve chuckles again, and turns towards me, rubbing the back of his neck. 

"You wish. But honestly, have you?" I sigh, and turn towards his body.

"Let me ask you this. When would I have had time to be in love?" I counteract, and he shrugs his shoulders. 

"Good point." He answers, and I smirk at him.

"Heard you have though." I add, and he nods slowly. 

"Once upon a time." He confirms, and I feel the tension in the air. "When I went back to return the stones, I saw her again actually." I can hear the sadness in his voice, yearning for something more in his life. It makes me wonder why he didn't get more when he had the chance.

"So why not stay? Stay and have the life you dreamed of." I ask, probably intruding and violating our agreement on no companionship, but the way we've been seeing each other for about a week straight says otherwise. I need to stop seeing him so often, but the sex is so good, I can't stop. 

"The thought did cross my mind, but she ended up getting married and having kids. I didn't want to change that path for her." He answers sadly, but I can hear the sound of happiness at the same time for his past love. Maybe he's still in love with her, I haven't heard of him being with anyone else since I met him. 

"You've got to be selfish once in awhile." I advise, and he chuckles, leaning towards my lips, smiling against them. 

"Maybe I'll start now." He whispers, and I smirk at him. 

"You're smooth, I'll give you that, but our agreement still stands." I mention, and he sighs, backing away from me. 

"Just one date." He suggests, and I roll my eyes. "What? Are you scared you're going to fall in love with me?" He dares to ask, and I scoff. 

"Fine, one date. Then, we're back to just sex." I answer, and he smiles at me. 

"Until you fall in love with me, then maybe you'll open yourself up to me." Steve quietly adds, and I roll my eyes at him again. We hear a knock on the door, and I cover myself with a robe so Steve can open the door. Great, I'm starving.