31

11 Days After

I could barely sleep after my conversation with Wanda. I need to make a choice. I could mope around, feeling guilty and push everyone away again or I can try to do better. I don't know how Steve fits into either of those categories though. It's been nice having him in my life, being there for me when I didn't know I needed. 

"You're up early." I hear Steve sneak up behind me, and I nod, flipping the eggs on the pan. 

"Figured I'd get a head start on packing." I lie, and Steve walks up next to me, watching me cook, impressed by my cooking skills. 

"Lucky for you I got movers to come here and for my place." Steve insists, and I lay the eggs onto plates, along with the bacon and toast. 

"Okay." Steve pushes the plates away from the two of us, and looks up at me, putting his finger underneath my chin, making me look up at him.

"What's wrong?" He asks, and I give him a weak smile. 

"Nothing, just tired." I answer, but he holds my face with his hands anyways. 

"I know when something's wrong. You wake up early, and you're not a morning person." Steve mentions, and I roll my eyes. Damn, he does know me. 

"I'm just still adjusting to this. Us." 

"Hey hey hey, we don't have to rush anything. If nothing else, we're friends. I'm always here for you." He advises, and I expose a small smile for him, granting one back. 

"You sure you can be just friends with me?" I tease him lightly, and he smirks at me. 

"It'll be tough, but yeah. Who knows? Maybe, I'll just get you to fall in love with me again." He teases me back and I laugh.

"Very confident in yourself Mr. Rogers." 

"No, just hopeful Ms. Petrova." I raise my eyebrows at him, and pull back the plates for us to eat. 

Right after we finish eating, I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, and I pull it out, walking away from Steve to answer it. 

"Hey, what's up?" 

"You on your way yet?" Bucky asks, and I furrow my brows, looking back at Steve to see if he's eavesdropping. 

"I can be. What's going on?" 

"I'll just see you when you get here." He answers, and ends the call. I furrow my eyebrows, confused at the entire, but short conversation I just had. 

"Who was that?" Steve asks, walking back into the living room and shrug. 

"Bucky." I answer dryly. 

"Everything okay?" 

"I think so. I'm gonna go see what's up with him. I'll see you there?" I mention.

"I got the movers to come here first, so they won't be able to pack up my things until tomorrow. I figured it would give you a chance to settle in." Steve mentions, and I smile at him. What a sweet man. 

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then." I add, and he takes a step towards me, and kisses me on the lips quickly, and I instinctively kiss him back without realizing. 

"Drive safe, I love you." He surprises me, and my eyes widen at him, causing him to chuckle. 

"Did I just scare you away?" I nervously laugh, and shake my head. 

"No, you just surprised me that's all." I answer truthfully, and it's refreshing hearing it towards me. For me. Just for me. 

"Told you I'm just going to make you fall in love with me, and also show you how much I still love you." He explains, and I smile.