23

The Day

Nina's POV

"I think I prefer real guns over those plastic ones." I mention, and Steve laughs at my joke. 

"Tell me you didn't have fun at the arcade." Steve comments, and I chuckle, smiling at him. We get into the car, and after he starts the ignition, his hand connects with mine. A touch I will never get used to, in the best way. 

"I had fun." I reassure and he smiles, pulling our hands towards his lips, kissing the back of my hand. 

"Do you miss it?" I ask, he furrows his eyebrows, keeping his eyes on the road. "Missions? Saving the world and all?" I add, and he shrugs. 

"Is it bad to say yes?" He answers with a question, and I shake my head. 

"I don't think so. I mean it's what we were meant to do." 

"Do you miss it?" He asks me, and I think hard on it, but I know the answer is easy and at the tip of my tongue. 

"Yeah. It's all I've ever known, and I've gotten pretty good at it." I answer truthfully, and he smiles. 

"Maybe we'll get put on a mission together." Steve mentions, and I turn towards him, connecting my eyebrows. 

"You thinking about getting back in the action?" 

"I think I've had a long enough break." He answers, and I agree. 

"I think me too." I reassure, and he smiles at the road. 

"Bucky and Sam are going to be excited." Steve comments, and I laugh at the thought of the four of us on a mission. In and out. Quick and easy, and it sounds delightful. 

We stop at a nearby pizza parlor, grabbing the rest to eat at my place. Where Steve has been staying for the past few nights. We've been taking turns, and at this point, we practically live together. The thought of us living together, officially sharing the same bed is insane, and if someone told me 10 years ago that I would be dating Steve Rogers, I would have beat their ass and laughed in their face. 

"I never told anyone this, but Nat wrote me a letter. Like a just in case she dies type of letter, and I haven't had the courage to read it." I confess. 

"Why not?" He asks, and I sigh. 

"I'm scared to read her last words to me. I thought maybe if I don't read it, she wouldn't have any last words and I can just think of what she would say to me if she were still here." I explain. 

"I'm not going to tell you to read it, but it might give you the closure you need." Steve advises and I nod. 

"So we're really going back to the compound huh?" Steve changes the sorrow subject, and I laugh. 

"Slow your roll. Yes, we will but what are we going to tell them about us?" I ask.

"Tell them we're completely head over heels for each other. So in love that we're eloping and moving to a cabin high in the mountains." Steve jokes, and I push him, hearing his deep, sexy laughter. 

"Seriously, they're going to freak out." I add, a little nervous at the thought of our friends knowing we're together, when we've barely accepted it ourselves. 

"They might, but they'll be happy for us." Steve reassures me, and I feel weight lifted off of my shoulders. Steve slows down at the red light, making a complete stop and turning towards me, tightening his grip on my hand. 

"Nina." He says, grabbing my full attention, and I turn towards him. 

"Cap." I reply with the same, serious tone. 

"I love you." He expresses, and I gasp quietly, but loud enough for him to hear. When the green light flashes in our faces, he turns back to accelerate. This is it, this is my moment to break free of my cycle, and truly let him in. 

"I love-" Suddenly, before I can finish the ground breaking words, there's a loud honk, and then bright lights on my side of the car. Everything goes black, but then I blink continuously trying to see what just happened, but my ears are ringing. I try turning towards Steve, who's saying something to me, but I can't make out what he's saying, and then I black out again.