4

Day of

Day of

Overlooking POV

Everyone is gathered around, giving each other weak smiles before they go on the mission of their lives. As well as for everyone else's lives. What seems to be hours for the mission teams, it felt like seconds for Bruce Banner. Doing everything correctly to get everyone back right on time, and everyone smiles, feeling the success of retrieving the stones. 

However, lastly, Clint Barton comes back, and alone. 

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce asks him, walking up to him. They all look around at each other, but Clint shakes his head and drops to his knees, opening his hand to reveal the Soul Stone. Everyone can just feel the same heart break, and missing piece of their team, their family immediately. 

After a while, they go out back to the deck of the lake, sitting in silence, unsure of what to do next. 

"Does she have any family?" Scott Lang asks, breaking the silence and Tony nods at him. 

"She has a sister." Tony answers, and Scott nods. 

"I can call her." Steve suggests, and Clint stands up quickly. 

"No, she should hear it from me." Clint barks, and Steve stays quiet. 

"Maybe, call her once this is over." Bruce suggests, and Clint glares at him. 

"She needs to know." Clint adds, and Bruce gives in and nods. Clint storms off with his phone, struggling to get himself together to call his best friend's little sister, to tell her that she's lost another sister, knowing she hasn't even recovered from the first time. 

"Are they close?" Steve asks out loud. 

"Clint and Nina?" Tony counteracts, and Steve nods. 

"Yeah, and with Nat." Steve adds. Tony takes a deep breath, and rubs his temples. 

"Um, Clint is the closest thing Nina has to family now. So close is one word for their weird relationship. As for the widow and her sister. Shouldn't you know that? Weren't you like bffs for a time?" Tony remarks, and Steve sits down on the bench, rubbing his chin. 

"She didn't like talking about her sister. Said their relationship was complicated. So I stopped asking." Steve answers, and Tony sits down too. 

"Close as they could be, given they had years apart. She's a good kid, really smart actually. She would come by and visit Nat, and bother me in my lab, even visited Morgan a few times with Nat." Tony explained, and he smiled remembering the late memories. 

"If she's anything like Nat, then she's strong." Bruce chimes in, and Tony wipes a tear from his face quickly. 

"She is, but you didn't see how it broke her when they couldn't reach Yelena. This. This is going to kill her." Tony adds, and stands up and walks away. 

Meanwhile, Clint is standing near the lake, patting his phone against his hand, hesitating to call someone who has grown to be a baby sister to him. He takes a deep breath and dials her number, putting his phone against his ear. 

"Hey kid." He greets her, and he sighs. 

"Clint, what's wrong? Did you guys get the stones? Is Nat okay?" She asks quickly, hearing it in his voice that something is indeed wrong. 

"Yeah, we got the stones." He answers, holding back the break in his voice that he knew was going to happen. 

"So why are you calling me and my sister isn't? What aren't you telling me?" Nina interrogates, holding everything together, knowing deep down what happened. 

"I-I'm so sorry. Nat's gone." Clint honestly answers, breaking down, and holding his hand over his mouth, holding back the quiet cries he has for his best friend. 

"I-I don't understand. What do you mean she's gone?" Nina counteracts, somehow staying calm over the phone. 

"It's a long story, which I'll explain to you once this is over." Clint explains, wiping away his tears. 

"Well, I'm coming then. I can help." Nina insists, and Clint pulls the phone away from his ear for a second, needing to do what Nat would have done. 

"No, you're staying put. I'll get Tony to send a jet for you. Just standby." 

"If you think I'm just going to sit on the sidelines, while everyone else is putting their lives on the line, then you don't know me as well as I thought you did." Nina barks, and Clint sighs, taking a deep breath.

"Nina, you're gonna stay in Paris. Nat said to stay there, so you're going to stay there until I say so." Clint fires, and regrets being so hard on her. 

"O-Okay." Nina surprisingly listens and hangs up. Clint throws his hands up in frustration, and turns around to see Tony. 

"How'd she take it?" He asks, and Clint sighs, putting his hands on his hips. 

"I won't know until I see her. I told her to stay put until we finish this." Clint answers, and Tony nods. 

"Yeah, that'll be good for her." Tony agrees. 

"You know she's a fighter like her sister. She's never going to forgive us for not letting her fight with us."Clint comments, and Tony sighs. 

"I know, but we can't risk losing our last widow." Tony backs him up, and Clint nods. 

"Let's get it done." Tony demands, and Clint sighs, following him back to the compound.