16 || The Last City

"Come on, Liz

"Come on, Liz. Let's go get you new clothes." Brenda helps me by taking me somewhere else. Brenda picks me out some clothes then waits while I change clothes.

"You know. Thomas has been really hard on himself about rescuing you and Minho." Brenda tells me as I pull my pants up.

"I would be hard on myself too if I was in his place. That's just the kind of people we are. We hate leaving friends behind." I walk over to her dressed to put on my shoes.

"Slightly off topic but you two are cute together. He's shown how much you mean to him." She gives me a smile.

"Thanks." I laugh not knowing what to say to that.

"I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating you two kissing at Marcus's but seeing how you looked at each other afterwards... I knew it happened." She says, making me laugh more.

"Yeah... he kissed me first but I backed away because I hallucinated my dead ex." I make a face then start to get upset.

"What happened to your ex? If you don't mind me asking." She rubs my knee.

"Let me add that we were already broken up for a year before he died. When we found a way out of the Maze he stayed back not wanting to leave. When we made it out of the maze he showed up. He got stung by a Griever and was out of his mind. I don't think he knew what he was doing in that moment. He was already scared of leaving the Glade... He didn't want us to leave and he tried to shoot us. I would've got hit if Thomas didn't jump in front of me and he would've gotten hit if Chuck didn't jump in front of him. As soon as Gally fired the gun Minho threw a spear at him. It impaled him in the chest, hitting a lung." I didn't realize I had tears in my eye till Brenda wiped them away.

"You loved him..." She asks me.

"As is said in the past... I will always care about him even though he wasn't the best in believing in me." I give her a smile.

"Do you love Thomas?" She asks, making me think about it.

"That's a strong word, Brenda. And I don't even know how much Thomas likes me in that way. Just cause we kissed twice doesn't establish anything. I mean my mom told me before the maze we really cared about each other but...Let's go." I get up to put my hand out to her and we go join the guys.

"Thomas what are you doing?" I see him circling a map.

"I think I found where the city is. Come on." He says making everyone follow him to Vince. Thomas tells him about the city and based on what we told him and then tracks it has to be it. That we just need to get a few people who can fit and we can be back in a week.

"A week? It took us six months to get here. We got over 100 kids here now. We can't just hang out here forever after what we just pulled. We wanna wander off to some random point on the map. You don't even know what's there." Vince tells Thomas it's basically not worth it.

"I do." Jorge walks into the room. "It's been a few years... but I've been there. The Last City. That's what WICKED called it. It was their whole base of operations. If that city is still standing... that's the last place you wanna go, hermano. That's the lion's den." Jorge tells us and Thomas.

"It's nothing we haven't done before." Thomas looks at him.

"Yeah, with months of planning... and reliable information, the element of surprise... none of which we have now." Vince explains to Thomas.

"Vince, I've thought this through. Would you just hear me out?" Vince cuts Thomas off.

"The last time we went off half-cocked... I lost everything. You remember that?" Vince gets loud making Thomas quiet and glances at me. "Look, I know it's Minho. All right? But you can't ask me to put those kids in the line for one man. I won't do it. Be happy we got Elizabeth back at least." Vince says as we hear voices on the radio. Everyone rushes to hit the lights to hide us so WICKED can't find us.

"You should get some sleep." Thomas tells me but I shake my head no.

"Thomas, I know you are gonna try to go save Minho alone. I'm not letting you do that. I'm going with you." I tell him but he shakes his head no now.

"You just got away from them. You aren't going with me." He leaves me so I grab some stuff to go join Newt and Fry in the jeep.

"Well I tried to talk him into letting me go and it didn't work." I tell them.

"Like he has a say. I know there's no way you're leaving Minho behind. Get in the back." Newt gives me a smile so I get in with Fry.

"Where do you think you're going then?" We hear Newt speak.

"Newt..." Thomas sighs.

"Don't be a twat about it. I'm already in. Come on." Newt tells him.

"No. No, not this time. Look, even if we find Minho, there's no guarantee we make it back from this." Thomas tells him.

"Well, you'll need all the help you can get then, won't you?" Newt says, opening the driver's side, making Fry and me lean forward with a smile.

"Told you I was going with you. We know you Thomas." I tell him.

"Well, we started this together. May as well end it that way, too." Newt tells him.

"Okay. Let's go get him back." Thomas says so we sneak the jeep out so we don't walk anyone up.

"I still hate you for coming, Elizabeth." Thomas says as I wake up from a nap they made me take.

"You don't hate me. You just hate how stubborn I am, but guess what... What you're feeling is what we feel about you." I correct him, making him look back at me.

"I'm gonna slap you."

I lean forward, "Okay, smack me right here." I point at my cheek. "Come on, do a little slap." I laugh, making him grab my chin to kiss me.

"Hey, that's not a slap!" Newt pulls me back into his side. "I get it, you like each other and haven't seen each other in six months, but there will be no kissing happening around me. Got that, Thomas." Newt points his finger at him.

"Really Newt?" Thomas laughs.

"Yes. You can't do anything with or to her until we have a conversation and get some ground rules. She's my best friend and I'm protective of her." Newt explains to him, making Fry laugh and me cuddle into his side.

"Elizabeth." Thomas looks at me.

"You heard my best friend. You gotta talk to him." I laugh before some time passes and we all get quite coming to a stop.

We all get out looking at the tunnel in front of us. That was the only way to go.

"You want us to go in there? I don't wanna come across as too negative, but if I was a Crank, that's exactly where I would be." Newt says as I look at the map with Thomas.

"I don't think we have much of a choice." I look up at him and he looks straight ahead.

"All right. I get shotgun." He walks back to the jeep.

"What if I want it?" I turn back to the jeep.

"I called it already, love." Newt gets in.

"You're such a gentleman, Newt." I walk to the jeep and Thomas rushes past me opening the door for me to get in the back.

He gave me a smile, "For you ma'am."

"Please stop, Tommy. It's gonna make me throw up." Newt makes me laugh.

"Thank you. Such a gentleman." I smile at Thomas getting in.