11 || Chasing Ghosts

The next day we keep moving towards the mountains and slowly they become closer but still far. "We'll rest here for the night." Thomas tells us so we all sit down on the ground tired.

"I have one swallow left." I handed Minho my bottle since he ran out earlier while we were walking.

"Thank you." He finishes it off.

We end up having to lay in a circle in the middle of the desert for us to get some sleep. I couldn't sleep that well so I kept rolling over, finally opening my eyes to see a storm.

"Thomas." I tap on his shoulder so he can wake up.

"Look, lights." He smiles, waking up everybody else.

"Okay, but we need to go now. Look." I say making them look back at the storm as it picks up.

We make a run for it to the lights as the storm gets worse. "Minho, be careful." I look back then see him get blown to the side. "Minho! Thomas!" I yell running back to them, passing everyone. As I pass Thomas I grab Minho as Newt and Aris come to help me.

We get inside, putting him back down. "Minho!" We all shake him till he groans, making us relax some.

"What happened?" He asks us.

"You basically got struck by lightning." I say making him think it's cool. "Not funny!" I slam his chest as we help him up. "You scared me." I wrap my arms at him.

"I'm sorry." He hugs me back.

Suddenly cranks show up making us all huddle together trying to stay out of reach. "They're chained up." I say as Thomas keeps an arm around me holding me back.

"I see you meat our Guard dogs." A girl comes over to us. "You guys look like shit." She eyes us.

"Well he just got struck by lightning." I point back at Minho.

"And you're fine. Come on. Follow me. Unless you want to stay with them." She tells us and I get out of Thomas' grip following her. "Jorge wants to meet you." She tells us.

"Who's Jorge?" I ask her.

"You'll see. No one's come out of the Scorch in a long time. You've just got him curious." She tells us.

"Anyone else starting to get a bad feeling about this place?" Newt asks as we are followed.

"Let's just hear him out. See what he has to say." Thomas tells him.

"Do you ever get the feeling the whole world is against you?" Jorge turns to us, making us look at each other.

"I'm gonna say yes." I speak up, making Thomas give me a look.

"Three questions. Where did you come from? Where are you going? How can I profit?" Jorge asks us.

"We're headed for the mountains. Looking for the Right Arm." I say making the men laugh.

"You've looking for ghosts, you mean. Question number two. Where did you come from?" He makes us look at each other.

"That's our business." Minho tells him, making the men all group up on us, grabbing us.

Two men force my head down and the girl scans the back of my neck. "What are you doing to her?" Thomas shouts.

"Calm down you big baby. I'm not hurting her." She tells him and we're all let go.

"I'm sorry, mija. Looks like you're tagged. You came from Wicked. Which means...you're very valuable." He tells us and we all end up getting strung up by our feet dangling over an over area.

"Good plan, Thomas. Just hear what the man has to say. Really working out for us." Minho tells him.

"Oh, shut up, Minho. Maybe I can reach the rope." Thomas says so he, me, and Minho try but fail.