Chapter 20

New York - 1674

I was sitting on my bed staring at the roof. I let out a long sigh as I heard someone knock on my door.
"New Amsterdam-" I heard Netherlands begin before I interrupted him.
"My name is New York!"
"Well, New Amsterdam, you need to come out of your room at some point. Come spend the day with me and have fun,"
"No," I stated, turning my back to the door.

I heard his footsteps leave and I got up from where I was resting. I walked over to my closet and put on a fresh set of clothes and a pair of shoes. Today was Thursday, one of the days that my father promised to come visit me. I slowly opened the door and looked around the area. Netherlands was nowhere in sight. I sighed at that then quickly left the house and ran towards the church.

I soon reached it and made my way inside. I found a cloaked figure sitting on a pew, staring at the stained glass window. I walked up to them and hugged them. 
"Hey dad," I said.
My father hugged back, "Everyone misses you. How's it been with Netherlands?"
"Fine, but I still can't stand him calling me New Amsterdam. Do you know when Great Britain will do something about this?"
"I don't know much, all that I know is that he's supposed to be having a peace talk to create a treaty to end this war,"
"What of Netherlands refuses?"
"Well, I don't know..." He said.

We heard footsteps coming from behind us. I turned to find Virginia and the Carolina twins headed our way.
"Father," Virginia started, "I have a message for you from England,"
Virginia handed the letter to dad.
"Why'd you bring the twins?" I asked.
"They wouldn't leave me alone, so I had to bring them along,"
"Are you alright?" Caro asked.
"I'm fine Caro, I just hope I'll be able to leave soon," I answered.
"So do we, it's been far too quiet in the house without yours and Jerseys fighting!" Lina stated.
I smiled, then heard something, "Did you guys bring anyone else with you?"

They all looked at each other, then shook their heads no.
Dad and I looked at each other, then dad got the three other colonies and they all hid behind a wall.
I stayed where I was, just sitting on the pew.
The door to the room opened, revealing Netherlands standing there.
"New Amsterdam! There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere!" Netherlands exclaim.
"I told you my names New York," I said, "And why look for someone who doesn't want to go back, I left for a reason? Why can't you accept the fact that you're not my father and never will be?"
"When will you accept that I am and always have been your father?"
With that he grabbed my wrist and dragged me out of the church, I spotted my father glaring at Netherlands as he dragged me away.

_                                                                                           _

America - A month later

I was walking around Westminster, London, taking in the sights of the old English town. I had left a while ago from my colonies to come here to see the treaty that would return the colony that Netherlands had taken.

I took a deep breath as a stared at the doors to the Palace of Westminster. This was the very place that parliament met in. I was about to open the doors when someone on the other side began pulling them open. I was met with the familiar, or what was once familiar, face of my father. It had been so long sense we had last spoken. The amount of messages sent between us drastically decreased within the past few years. But, then again, that could have something to do with the wars that he's always involved in.

"Ah, Colonies, welcome," He greeted.
I nodded and walked in, ignoring the new nickname.
He lead me up to the room that the treaty was being signed in. There was a familiar blue, white, and red country sitting off to the side while watching the leaders converse over the treaty. I furrowed my eyebrows at the country as soon as my eyes landed on him.

I felt my father rest his hand on my shoulder, "Relax, I made sure to add in the return of the colony on New York, or rather in this case, New Amsterdam,"
I let out a small sigh of relief knowing I'd be able to see my son without sneaking around again.
"What's the catch?" I asked suddenly, knowing that a country doesn't simply give up land without something in return.
"I give him Suriname," Britain laughed, confusing me but I didn't question it.

Soon the treaty was sighed and New York was once again a British Colony. I smiled as I said my goodbyes to my father and my Uncle who had also attended the treaty signing. I soon began my trip home to break the news to my colonies.

_                                                                                           _

Hey guys! Sorry it's taken so long to update! It'll take a little longer for the next chapter seeing how I'll need to study on some more of New York's colonial history! Anyways, hope y'all enjoyed and thanks for reading! Please leave feedback, I really do appreciate it. Either way, thanks and bye!

- I.M.F.