Chapter 1

New Amsterdam - 1624

I was starting to wake up. I slowly opened my eyes, allowing them to adjust to the light. As soon as I caught a glimpse of my surroundings, my head shot up. I looked around, I had no idea where I was. I was in some kind of forest. I was sitting on a cold, wet patch of grass. All that I could hear was the sounds of birds chirping, until I heard rustling in some nearby bushes. My head shot over and I found a man standing there.

The man wore a white shirt with a black waist and over coat on top on it, he also had on some black breeches with white stockings. It was strange seeing such a well dressed man out in the middle of a forest. The mans face had three lines of different colors going horizontally. The top was red, the middle was white, and the bottom was blue. He had well groomed wavy hair and brown eyes.

"Waarom zit een kind midden in een bos?" The strange man said in another language.
My face twisted into a look of confusion at this. The man smiled at me awkwardly.
"Jij kent geen Nederlands, of wel?" The man said. I didn't know what he said but he said it like a question, which didn't reach help me much...
He realized I still couldn't understand and started speaking in a language I knew.
"Sorry," The man stated, "I forget I am on another continent that doesn't speak Dutch."
I smiled, glad I finally knew what he was speaking, though the more he spoke in that language the more I seemed to understand it.
"So what is your name," He asked.
I thought for a moment. I knew I had one, but with all that just happened I just couldn't remember. So I just shrugged.
"Well then, how about we call you... New Amsterdam?!" He exclaimed.
I smiled and nodded. New Amsterdam, huh? Not the worst name.

"Not very talkative are ya?" The man asked.
I smiled sheepishly. Then a question popped up in my mind.
"Sir," I spoke for the first time, "what's your name?"
The man smiled, "My name is Netherlands."
I smiled, the man then reached his hand towards me to take. I accepted and took it, he then pulled me up back to my feet.
"Come with," Netherlands said gently, "I'll take care of you..."

He led me out of the forest and helped me onto a horse. He then got on and took the horse by its reins and we started trotting down the road. I had no clue where we were going or what was going on and knew very little about the I was riding with. After a while of riding we made it to a tiny settlement. He took us all the way to a house and helped me off. After I was down he took the horse and tied its reins to a post across the street. He then opened the door and let me inside. He cooked some food and ate with me while we talked together. We talked for awhile until something slipped out of my mouth while I was speaking.
"Vader"

Netherlands looked at me with surprise and I was surprised myself. I knew that word, I knew what it meant and what language it is. It was Dutch for 'Father'.
Netherlands surprised looked turned into a soft smile. I smiled back. We finished eating and Netherlands showed me to my room and read me to sleep. I never thought I could feel so at peace.