Chapter 10

New Amsterdam - The next day...

I was sitting by the table with my vader. We were discussing over what all was happening in the colony. I was very tempted to ask what the heck yesterday was about but something had kept me from doing so. I didn't know what it was though, perhaps I was afraid that the answer might be bad. Whatever the reason the question that burned through me mind was never asked throughout the whole conversation. I had tried bring it up a few times after but every time he simply ignored it or didn't give me a real answer. I was about to attempt asking him for a eighth time when the door slammed open.

Both of our eyes shot up to find my old friend Mathew. And by old I meant that literally, he looked to be around his seventies or sixties at this point.
Mathews voice was filled panic as he spoke (more like screamed), "There are four British ships filled with oldies coming this way. What do we do?"
Netherlands paused for a second before he replied, "Nothing."
My jaw dropped. There were ships full of British soldiers, and he was going to do nothing?!
Mathew and I looked at each other and back at my vader like he was crazy. I mean that is kind of what we thought at the moment.
I was about to say something when Mathew spoke up for me, "What do you mean 'Nothing'?"
"I mean exactly what I said, we do nothing..."
"But vader—!" I started before he cut me off.
"No buts! My answer is that we do nothing and that's final!"

My eyes widened as I realized he truly wasn't going to do anything. I looked down and stared at the floor. My through so ran on rapidly inside of my head. Did he not care? How could he do nothing? We're they going to take me? He told me that he'd always have my back... I looked up at him one last time. He returned the look with emotionless eyes staring into the depths of my soul. I watched him slowly get up from his chair and walk into his room, shutting the door behind him.

_                                                                                           _

Netherlands -

I made sure to lock the door behind me as I shut my door. I directed my attention towards my desk. All of the work was done and stacked in a neat pile. All except one.The letter I had so much debate over, the letter that I knew I would eventually would have to deal with. It was the letter that would send New Amsterdam away... it would officially make his an English colony. I sat down with the letter. I started at it. I thought about everything that had happened between New Amsterdam and I. Memories flooded my mind. My frown only deepened as I reminisced in those old memories. I closed my eyes as I remembered one of my newer ones. It was the one of when I was at the entrance waiting for him because of a hole in his cartridge bag. I was getting ready to get him when he walked right out and came over to me. I remembered how we had talked together and the question he had asked me. He asked if I would always be there for him...

And I lied by saying "yes"...

I looked back at the paper on my desk. I grabbed my quill, dipped it in the ink. I looked over it and found a space at the end. And from there, I signed the paper...

_                                                                                           _

New Amsterdam -

I sat there, frozen in thought. I looked up at Mathew who seemed to be in the same state as I was. I stood up from my seat and walked outside. I felt as my eyes began to feel warm and moist. I sat down, as something warm trickled down my cheek. I started to shake as I realized something...

I was all alone...