Chapter 8

Netherlands - February of 1664

I was sitting by my desk. I was working on signing papers for my country and tried to calm down with our relations with the English. It was hard though considering how mine and the Empire's relationship wasn't very good to begin with. We've never been too close of friends, we were mainly rivals towards each other; such was the life of many and all countries in the world. I looked out to see New Amsterdam playing outside.

I sighed, he didn't realize how lucky he was. Being able to go out, not a worry in the world. All of that seemed like a myth to me now... I let out a long exasperated sigh as I took note of all my paperwork, the rested my head in my hands. All of this chaos was starting to give me a headache. Maybe all of this wasn't worth the fuss. Perhaps I should just hand the colony over and stop with all this nonsense. I looked back at my son who was playing outside. No. I couldn't give him up... not yet. I had to do something in order to keep him under my control.

I knew that sounded bad, but it was the game of Empires, and it was a game I had to play. If not then how else should I survive in the cruel world we call our home? The world is a monstrous place, and as the personification of Netherlands I must not let myself fall due to feeling toward a colony. I can not afford to do such a thing.

I continued to look at him. He was so innocent, so clueless to the world around him. I just hoped he wouldn't fall for its tricks other wise he'll end up heartbroken, just like most others do...

_                                                                                           _

New Amsterdam -

I was running around playing around with Kyle, he was Mathew's son. Sure it was awkward playing with the son of your best friend. Especially when your best friend ends up looking like... ten times older then you, but hey, what ya gonna do? He was still just as fun as his father. I smiled as I reminisced the fun that I had with him.

Kyle wore the same out fit as me just with out the blue overcoat. He had dirty blond hair, and bright sky blue eyes. He had light freckles scattered all around his face, and a bright big smile plastered to his face.

We were passing a ball to each other. Kyle had thrown it a bit too far and I ended up rushing to get it before it touched the ground. Of course, my plan failed due to the ball being a bit faster that I was. In the end I was on the ground covered with dirt. Kyle started laughing as he walked over to led me a hand. I began to laugh as well as I took his hand and got up. We talked a bit about all kinds of different things. Soon enough though, Kyle's mother came out saying that Kyle needed to head back inside. We both said our goodbyes and waved to each other.

I looked over at my house. I saw my vader sitting next to window looking at me with a distant look on his face. I raised a eyebrow as I wondered what it is he could be thinking. I found myself wondering that a lot actually. It seems like he become more and more distant from me lately, more concerned and worried. I ran up and opened the door to the house, then walked in closing the door behind me. I walked up to my vader's room and opened its door. His eyes shot right towards me.

"Zoon, wat doe jij hier?" He asked.
"Hallo vader, Ik dacht ik kom even kijken hoe het met je gaat..." I responded.
"I'm fine..." He smiled as he switched to English.
I could tell there was something he wasn't telling me, but as to what I couldn't say. I wished he would just come clean to me, it seemed like he was hiding everything from me. I barely even knew what was happening in my own colony anymore! I sigh in defeat, but before I leave Netherlands grabs my wrist.
"Why don't we go make some dinner?" He questioned as he got up from his seat.
I smiled as we both walked into the kitchen together.
He crouched down next to me and whispered, "I love you..."

'Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?'