Chapter 3

New Amsterdam -

I was still on the ground looking up at the man standing in front of me. He was glaring viciously at the bear that was growling back.
The man had short wavy hair with strips of blue and white on his red hair. He wore a white shirt with a cravat and black breeches with white stockings. His face bore a flag with a red background and a Union Jack on the top left side. He held his musket at the ready.

He took a defensive stand in front of me and didn't take his eyes off the bear for even a second. Who was this man? Why was he here? Why was he protecting me when he doesn't even know me? All these questions swarmed my mind as I looked at the man in shock. My shock was quickly broken though when the bear started to charge towards the man.

The man stood he ground and as the bear brought his claws down, then man brought his musket up, blocking the bears attack. This repeated a few times until the man finally took his turn to strike once it was tired out. He jabbed the beast right in its side. The creature yelled in agony as it started to stumble. The man went at it again stabbing it in the shoulder, and with that the creature fell to the ground dead.

The man looked over at me. His face that once held a glare was soft and his eyes were filled with concern.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
I froze, why did I feel like I knew this man? I had never seen him before, yet there's something about him that just feels so... familiar. I shake myself out of my thoughts as I accept his hand. He pulls me up off the ground, and I start dusting myself off. The man walks over toward my musket and picks it up and gives it to me.
He looked at me and chuckled slightly, "So kid, where's your cartridge?"
A sheepish smile finds its way onto my face, "I may have forgotten it when I left... So, who are you?"
"Colonial America," He introduced, "you?"
"My name is New Amsterdam."

Colonial America smiled at me. His smile was soft and warm.
"I'm guessing you're the new colony?" He asked.
I nodded.
"Hey dad where'd you go?!" A voice called out nearby.
"Over here Virginia!" America yelled back.
A boy ran over.
This boy had short wavy hair, much like America's but more messy. He wore the same outfit as well, just instead of a vest he had suspenders on. He had the same flag on his face as America as well.

As the boy walked over his face morphed from happy to confused as he walked up to Colonial America. The boy looked me up and down, "Who're you?"
"Name's New Amsterdam."
"Virginia." The boy introduced.
"Virginia? I've heard that name before..."
"Probably because of the Colony of Virginia."
I nodded, the name sounded familiar, probably because ever now and then the name would come up along with a few others.
"Why don't we get you back to your own colony." America said as he walked me over to a horse and helped me on.

We then rode the rest of the way to my colony. We talked a bit on the way there. We soon reached the colony and went over to my house. I invited them in and they stayed for a while before they had to leave. But before they left the boy named Virginia walked up to me and said something.
"You do know he's your father right?" He asked.
"What? Who?"
"I think you know. Colonial America. You know it's true."
"No, my father's Netherlands."
"Sure, keep telling yourself that. You know deep down who your real father is, and it's only a matter of time before you realize it." Virginia said. Then was called out side by America to start heading off. He smiled at me and waved and I did the same in return before shutting my door.

I wish I could say what Virginia had said was wrong, but he was right. It would explain why he had felt so familiar. And maybe he knows, maybe that's why he had saved me. Because he knew I was his son! But, then again, why hadn't he brought anything up. It was all too confusing. I didn't know what to think at this point.

I sat down on my bed and closed my eyes, clearing my mind of all these thoughts. I took a deep breath and laid down on my bed, slowly drifting off to sleep. Throughout all of today there was one thing I thought:

'I hope I get to see America again soon...'