Chapter 2

I'm fourteen now, in 2032, living with my dad and attending secondary school like everyone else. Covid is long gone but the British government -like all the Western governments- are still trying to get back on their feet.

Not that they were on their feet in the first place, Dad always says.

People still like K-pop but its not the big thing anymore, the people who only liked it because they follow what was in and what is out are now like 'Ew you still listen to K-pop, that's so last decade."

When Dad hears that he says "I can't believe people still talk like that."

I, like mum, prefer to listen to studio acapella versions of all k-pop songs which is a bit hard to explain to the other k-pop stans in my school minus the muslim ones who do the same.

Another thing I have in common with the muslim k-pop acapella lovers is I don't celebrate birthdays. Instead on our respective birth dates we rock out to Happy Death Day by Xdinary Heroes, a group that debuted in 2021... the same year Na Na came out.

There is no real reason that I don't celebrate birthdays, Dad and Mum just couldn't be bothered with them. It just means your closer to death as the song goes.

My birthday isn't a particularly happy day anyway. It really is a 'death day'. It's the worst day.

The day it happened.