Chapter #35

•Hope's p.o.v•
I woke up feeling empty inside, but at the same time, satisfied. My brother was gone. The one who was with me my life time. A tear rolled down my cheeks silently. I didn't want Carl to wake up. I could hear his snores. I smiled. When I thought of his name. When he told me he loved me. That he loved me. I was in all these emotions and didn't know which one I could be in the longest. I switched from happy to sad in a second and it was like I was broken inside, but the same time fixed. My tear probably fell on his shirt, since I had my head on his engulfing chest. I could tell it was going to be stained soon as my eyes filled with water. He shuffled and hugged me tighter. I shut my eyes tight and took a portion of his shirt in my hands, squeezing with everything I had.
" Shhhh..." I heard him mumble.
" It's ok." I didn't want to believe these words right now. Nothing seemed ok. Three people died. I could've saved them. I should've. I took a breath and snuggled up closer to Carl's warm body heat/embrace. The flashbacks engulfed my own mind and I didn't like it. At all. My brother telling me to go. Nevaeh tellin us to move ahead. Sophia being chewed alive. They all were. I could feel more tears run down my dry cheeks, making them hydrated.
" No, no, no," I kept repeating. This flashback was all I was seeing- and I wanted it to be the last. I never wanted to see it again, but that wasn't happening anytime soon. Carl got up and sat crossed legged on the bed. He pulled me over and put me in his lap. I had my legs hanging from the side on his bed and my face was buried in his scented chest.
" Shhhhhhh..." He kept saying. He ran his fingers through my hair, to calm me down. And it worked. Little. I sniffled the last of my cries and just sat there. I look up, hands still holding his shirt tight. He looked down and saw me. His eyes were sparkling in the room. How could someone's eyes be so blue? So perfect. They were my favorite ones out of the whole place. The only sight I like to look at. They were full of calmness and warmth. Along with love. I smiled warmly at him, and he gladly returned the favor. He bent down, and I awaited. Awaited for the lips I was going to devour and love so much. That's when I finally felt them. His warm feeling sending chills though out my spine. I kissed him back, and the moment was right. Jay was right. What he told me before the party. I smiled bigger for two reasons-
I was with Carl.
Jay was right.
Jay told me that me and Carl would be together soon. I just didn't know if I should believe him or not because being attached gets you killed. And being with Carl? Why wouldn't I love it. I liked him since the day my eyes meet his. Like it was meant to be. Something tells me it was going to get better. I could feel it. We parted and we both looked pretty dumb just smiling at each other, but I loved every minute of it.
" Be mine?" he asks, whispering seducing me, with hope in his voice. I pretend to think about it, which makes him act shocked. I laugh, tilting my head backwards. I nod and pull him by the shirt until his lips found mine again. This was wasn't so long, but it still was still pretty good! We sat there for a couple of minutes, his head resting on mine. I start to shuffle around and move, but he has a tighter grip on me from his muscular arms. I begin to laugh, which I can feel his smile form on my bare shoulder cause the shirt was big.
" It's almost noon! C'mon, let's get up." I tell him. He groans, and I push him off. I get off the bed before he could catch me and pin me back down. I stretch and feel a little light headed(y'know the feeling), but maintain myself. I go out the room and get hit with lights. I squint and took hold on the rail, leaning on it. A pair of arms made their way around my small figure and I couldn't contain my smile forming its was on my face.
" I'ma go change." I say.
" You just put those on." He says.
" Yeah, but I don't like it." He shakes his head, trying not to laugh, and nods, kissing me on the forehead. I take off to my room and and open it up, seeing my walls and familiar scent. I go to the dresser and pick out a pair of sweatpants. I tug the leggings off and throw them on the bed. My bed was neatly folded, thanks to Carol. I leave my shirt on, which I don't think is actually mine. Daryl must've tossed me the wrong one. It looked like Carl's. Half way down my lower arms, kind of long sleeves but cut off before it reached my hands. I left it on and walked near my dresser. I grabbed my handy-dandy comb and rake it through my hair. I grabbed a hair thing and put it in a medium ponytail. I left my bangs out, so they could shield me from the sun light a little. I grabbed a pair of socks, and my combat boots. I put those on and walked out my room. Carl was still by the rail, with his hat on. I smiled and tip toed out. He didn't seem to notice. I walked down the stairs and he still didn't notice. I laughed silently and walked towards the living room. I see Glenn, Maggie, Rosita and Abraham there.
" AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I yell loud enough it scared them. They got up, frightened and took out their knives. I put my hands up in surrender, laughing my ass off. They smiled and put their weapons up.
" Hey, hey , hey! Look who it is!" says Abraham. I wave and strike my pose. They laugh as they walk towards me, hugging me one by one. Carl must've heard my scream, considering he was down next to me with his hands around my waist. I make eye contact with Glenn, and he smirks.
" You guys a- uh, thing?" He asks, Maggie slapping him on the shoulder.
" Let them have a childhood for once." She says. He wraps his arms around her, chuckling.
" Yeah." Says Carl, smiling brightly.
" Toast to that." says Abraham. He raises his hand that has a beer bottle in it, and lays it on his beard, chugging it down.
" You toast to anything." says Rosita. I smirk while the rest laugh.
" How's Tara?" I ask, getting serious. I've heard she got hurt on the run and was in a coma thingy. I felt bad for her. Trying to protect the people she loved, only to get hurt herself. I felt guilt and resemblance at the same time, which was no good combination.
" Good so far." Says Rosita. She's usually the one who goes and watches after her throughout the day. They've grown pretty close. She goes and tugs her coat on.
" I'm going to go visit her, wanna come?" she asks. I nod my head and go upstairs real fast, grabbing my fuzzy jacket I saw first. Poor leather jacket, not today. I close my door and jog downstairs. I walked in the kitchen, grabbing an apple, and some water. I take a bite, and drink the water, putting it in the dirty sink. I walk back into the leaving room, ready to visit a friend.
" Ready?" she asks. I nod my head. Carl walked up next to me and wrapped his arm around my waist. He had his jacket on, probably coming along.
" Let's go." I say, and take another bite from the red apple. I missed the green ones. They always had better taste.
" Alright, c'mon." says Rosita. We walk towards the door, and she opens it, revealing her to the world- or what's left of it.
" We'll be back!" I yell throughout the house. I heard the distant yells of the other three, and with that I was revealed back out into a place that is safe.
For now.