The woods

•Hope's p.o.v•

I looked at the ground, seeing my foot break every branch and plaster down every piece of grass, or just anything really that laid ahead underneath us.

It was quiet air that surrounded me and Daryl, and honestly I didn't know why. I wanted to catch up with him. On what's been going on since he's left. But you could see that it wasn't that time.

"You've gotten better with that crossbow?" Daryl seemed to break the silence, which actually surprised me that he talked first. I turn around to face him, glancing at his features that covered his face ever so slightly.

His eyes are squinted from the sunlight to shield his vision. I shrug, turin back around to continue walking.

"Depends what your definition of good is." I replied to him, earning a grunt from him in response. He taps me on the shoulder, pointing his rough dirty finger towards a squirrel that was busy stuffing his face with acorns.

I smirked and nodded back at him, reaching down for my knife that laid untouched in its holster, where it belongs. I very carefully snuck up, occasionally breaking a branch and having the squirrel stop eating, only seconds later to continue.

I got pretty close enough, where I thought would be a good place to throw my knife to kill my breakfast. I took in a deep breath, focusing on the target and my force that I delivered.

Apparently it was well enough, seeing my knife had hit the squirrel dead up in the left eye. I ended up smiling, before going to retrieve the dead animal and cheering myself on. I threw the squirrel at Daryl, while he jumped a little.

"Scared of a dead squirrel?" I snickered, taunting him. He shook his head at me, pushing down the food in his small backpack he brought. "I said crossbow, not knife throwing." He replied to my smart remark.

It became a little quiet, meanwhile I felt tension. This wasn't going to be easy, getting back with Daryl after so long, and now I'm questioning myself on even doing it. Trying my hardest not to just get up and leave.

"Not like its the only thing you missed." I said back, probably causing him to shut his mouth for a couple seconds or so. I regretted it little bit, but not enough for me to take it back.

I couldn't, not when he's the one who did Jay and I wrong, not vice-versa.

•TIME LAPSE•

It wasn't long before noon hit us, and we decided to go back to the barn. We had caught enough of what we could, and honestly, it wasn't so bad.

The vinimious air that had surrounded us, evaporated over time, letting Daryl show me a couple new things about the crossbow that he figured out.

His was more complex and and better than the one I had, which is why he knows so much. Mines pretty old and simple, but I love it too much to ever exchange.

I walked towards the barn door, daryl closely behind me. I walked in and swung the door big enough to have daryl come in as well.

"We brought food." Daryl exclaims, raising the bag of dead animals in the barn for everyone to see. Some people either smiled and waved a hand or just ignored it.

Daryl didn't seem to care as he walked over to Rick and passed him the bag, rick immediately going through it to see what we got and what we might be able to make tonight.

I quietly dusted my hands and walked towards where my spot of the barn was, setting down my crossbow and pulling out my hair from underneath my jacket.

"Where have you been?".asked the familiar voice that I quickly recognized. It held the same deepness and curiosity as the same person who handed me his gun.

I took it out from the back of my pants, eyeing it and realizing I actually didn't need it. I smiled and grabbed his soft hand, placing the cold metal weapon in his palm.

"I'm fine." I reply back calmly. There was no need to worry.