𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟸

Peter's POV

I walked towards Lilah's apartment building with the pizza in my hands. I had left the top of the Empire State building 10 minutes early and I was still late. 

I thought about what had happened that afternoon. Her voice was beautiful. I just wish I would've stayed quiet for longer, I would've been able to hear her sing for longer. I shook my head to clear out those thoughts.

I was not supposed to be thinking about that. I barely knew her, or as a matter of fact, I knew literally nothing about her. 

I climbed the stairs thinking back to our conversation. What friend of her's would be in my class? I haven't noticed anyone paying particular attention to me. No one in college really cares. 

I came to apartment 15a and knocked on the door. I heard some slight shuffling inside and then she opened the door. "Hi Peter! Come on in." She smiled and held the door open for me. 

Her apartment was slightly bigger than mine, but it was adorable. Her balcony was framed with plants and she had random bolts of fabric in almost every corner of the room. "Nice place you got here. If you don't mind me asking, what's with all the fabric?" 

"Thanks! I like to design clothing. It's what I want to go into." 

I laughed, "Then why are you in a mechanics class?" 

"I thought it would be useful, and they need some more women in there. I'm like one of three in total. The second being Dr. Jennings."

"You're not wrong." I set the pizza down on the kitchen counter. She walked over to the opposite side of the counter, opened the box, and immediately grabbed a slice. 

"Oh my gosh, this is so good." She finished the first piece extremely quickly. "I literally haven't eaten anything since breakfast." 

"Woah, that's not healthy. I mean, this pizza isn't either but at least it's some sustenance." She let out a small laugh and finished the slice. She was standing right in front of a small kitchen window that was above the sink. The orange light from the sunset illuminated the outline of her hair, making a sort of halo. 

Something jumped in my heart that I hadn't felt in a long time. It scared me and I immediately pushed it back down. I ran a hand through my hair as I tried to inwardly calm down. 

She finished her slice, crossed back around the counter and sat down on the couch. She motioned for me to join her. "Alright, what project did you need help with?" 

I shook my head and knocked myself out of the small trance I had put myself in. "Do you have last month's final project?"

Lilah's POV

I helped him with a small remote control car that we had to build from scratch. I leaned back from where I had leaned over the coffee table. "See? Look at that! You even got the wiring right." I looked over and smiled at him and his progress. 

He gave me a crooked grin. "I'm not bad at the class, I just don't have time to do the projects."

I picked up a screwdriver and pointed it at him as I went to tighten a screw. "That means you are bad at the class." I laughed and continued working. 

It was silent for a moment and then I heard footsteps running down the hallway outside. A slight buzzy feeling hit the base of my neck. Then Miles burst through the door, breathing hard. 

Of course, he had to do this right now.

Peter looked up at him confused, "Miles?" Before Miles or Peter could say anything else to each other, I stood up and walked over to Miles, trying to cover the awful situation that I was now in. 

"Hey Miles! Haven't seen you in a while buddy!" I gave him a slightly fake smile. "How's your Rube Goldberg Machine going? I hope you've been working on it, especially after all that time we spent on it last Tuesday!"

I looked between the two of them. Peter had a suspicious look on his face, while Miles took a space of two seconds too long to respond. "It's going great! I was....just in the neighborhood and decided to ask for some advice with the m-marbles' trajectory."

He stumbled over his last word, making it sound even more suspicous. I wanted to cover myself up in a blanket and fall on the ground. I turned to Peter, "Wait, how do you know Miles? I smiled at him with all the peace and serenity I could muster. 

Peter looked between us for a few moments. Moments that lasted much longer than they should've. Then the buzz hit the base of my neck again. I took an internal deep breath (could I even do that? I don't know how but I did it anyway). I could cover this up. 

He responded seriously, as if very deep in thought. "I've...helped Miles before with some work for school too." 

"Oh, what a coincidence! Do you mind if I leave you alone to talk to him? I'll just be in the back room. My mind gets all jumbled up if I have two projects in front of me to think about."

His hand rested on his chin and his eyes stared blankly at the project on the table. "No of course not, go ahead." I motioned towards the back of my apartment and he followed me to my bedroom. 

I closed the door and placed my forehead against the wood. Quietly I said, "That was the worst timing you have ever had Miles. Why didn't you call me?"

I turned around and looked "I had to tell you that--"

"Wait, how do you even know my address?!" 

"I may have traced the IP. But that's not the prob--"

"Excuse me?" I tried to keep my voice down, but he totally invaded my privacy. I walked towards him and he started backing away, only to be stopped by the edge of my bed frame. 

"It was just to--"

"Miles this is not okay! I trusted you, and this is the only place I have any peace. Now I have BOTH of the other spidermen in my house!"

He held his hands out in fron of him, "Calm down, just for a minute! Let me get my words out! Green Goblin was spotted over New Jersey."

I folded one of my arms and rested a hand on my forehead. "Why on earth didn't you just tell Peter? I don't get involved with the big villains."

He stopped for a second and his look became darker. "His girlfriend was killed when he was fighting the Green Goblin. I don't want to put him through that again, but I can't take him down alone. Please, I need your help, just this once."

I didn't know that Peter had lost a girlfriend while he was fighting. That must've destroyed him. I'm surprised he could keep doing the whole Spiderman thing. I looked over at Miles and my heart melted. He had such a worried look in his eyes, and he just wanted to help one of his best friends. 

 "Alright. Just this once. I'm sorry I got angry, I just don't like my personal space being invaded by people from work."

"I understand that and I'm sorry too--" His voice trailed off as his eyes focused on the door behind me. He had a nervous look in his eyes and waved a hand timidly. Voice cracking, he said, 

"Hi, Peter."