𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟼

Peter's POV

I was a little frustrated at Dr. Jennings for having paired me up with someone random to help me with work for the class. It wasn't that I didn't understand the work we were doing, I just didn't have the time to complete the assignments. But it might be nice to finally get to know someone in my class instead of continually ignoring everyone. 

I put down my bag and started changing into my spider suit, but was distracted as something fell out of my pocket. It was the purple pencil that, Lilah I think her name was, had given me. I'd have to give it to her the next time I saw her. 

I finished changing and started listening to the police scanner again. I didn't feel like swinging around and wasting the webs in my shooter. Immediately I heard something that perked up my ears. 

"We are in pursuit of the carjackers. Turning right onto Cabrini Boulevard."

"Back-up on the way."

"Wait...." The scanner was silent for a moment. "We have another Code L. I repeat we have a Code L. Don't interfere. She's working with one of the other spiders. Stay close behind and wait until we can get the suspects into custody." 

There was that Code L again. Guess that She is a person. And working with one of the other spiders? Must be Miles. If she was working with him, I'd like to meet her. I started swinging over to where the carjacker was driving. 

I landed on a tall brick building just above the stopped car. The police had two web-strewn men in custody. I looked around the surrounding area for where Miles and 'Code L' could be. I started walking around some of the surrounding rooftops, and just over one, I could see the very top of Miles' masked head. 

I started to wave before I saw her. I got a buzzing in the back of my head. She was just like me. They had both just tugged their masks back on and done a handshake. 'Code L' pulled a hood over her head, waved goodbye to Miles, and leaped off the building. It looked like she had been doing this for a while, even had a complete suit. 

I ducked down before Miles could see me. Why was he hiding this from me? And why wouldn't he ask her to work with us? She just took down a couple of carjackers with him and they looked like a great team. She was even working with the police. There must be another reason for him not telling me. 

I saw Miles swing off into the opposite direction of the mysterious Code L. I was a little split between my choices. I could go ask Miles, or...I could find out more about Code L. I stood up and started pacing back and forth. She might want privacy, so I shouldn't follow her. But what if she is a threat to Miles?

I decided against my better judgment and followed after her. I swung around a few buildings and saw the edge of her hand around a wall. She was moving extremely fast and really high above the ground. Like she was trying to stay out of sight from pedestrians. I made sure to stay a far enough distance away in case she had a spidey sense too. 

She landed hard on top of a building and pulled out her phone. Her voice echoed off the tall buildings around her. I hid on the side of the building about 40 feet away. "Hey, Chief. Have you seen any suspicious property lately?" Her voice was bright and clear. She also had a very advanced suit. The set of four eyes on her suit moved in sync with her emotions. 

"I want to take on another gang. It was super fun." So she was the one who did the weapons bust last night. Miles had lied straight to my face. He was trying to protect her, but why? 

"Awesome, I'll head there after dark. This time, maybe bring some undercover police cars without the sirens. I don't need certain attention being brought to the situation." She paused briefly. "You know who I'm talking about." 

Obviously, she was talking about me. I may be a little self-centered but who else would she be hiding from? I would have to see what she does tonight. Nothing else big has been happening anyway. 

This was the first thing that has caught my attention in a long time. Maybe we'd gain a new team member if I convinced her. Or I could accidentally turn her into an enemy.