Twenty-Seven: Law and Order

*Jake POV*

"Arriving at St. Patrick, St. Patrick station."

As the train doors opened, we all stepped off, made our way to street level and began walking down University Avenue, making our way towards the courthouse. 

It was a pleasant, yet busy day outside. There were tons of people walking down the street, sitting down outside and cycling for sport. It was a Sunday, so there weren't any people in suits and ties.

The courthouse was a short walk down the avenue, it was easy to see because of its 'grand design'. The building looked very official and government-y.

As we approached the entrance, I started to get nervous. Pulse thready, knees weak, arms heavy, all of it. Today was the day I had to testify against Drew and hopefully send that fucker to jail.

The second we stepped inside, the crown attorney approached us.

"Are you two ready?" He asked, eager to know if his reputation would get nuked.

"No shit we're ready, you put us through that fucking boot camp." Hailey replied, clearly pissed

"I see. In that case, don't crack."

Our parents thanked him and we continued to our courtroom.

We eventually found our courtroom and opened the surprisingly small doors. The room was honestly not that big. The judge's seat was unoccupied and the stand looked well-worn. The bailiff looked extremely intimidating, his pistol giving me uncomfortable flashbacks.

We sat down just as the bailiff told us to ride.

"All rise for the honourable Judge Patel." said the bailiff.

"Please be seated, court is in session." said the judge.

"This is it," said Sean.

"I sure hope so..." I said.

"Mr.Bart, you have been charged with Murder 2, Grand Larceny, 4 counts of Illegal possession of a firearm, Assault with a deadly weapon, unlawful imprisonment, attempted murder, destruction of property and terrorism. Do you understand the nature of these charges?" 

"Yes," Drew replied.

"The crown on remand?"

 "The defendant should be remanded, he skipped bail, committed even more crimes and is very clearly a danger to society," the crown dude said

"The defense?" 

"The defendant should be released to his parents' custody, this is just a shakedown and the defendant has strong ties to the community.", whined the crummy defense lawyer

"I'm sorry Mr.Smith, but I have to agree with the crown here. Mr.Bart is hereby remanded. Now that we've settled that bail hearing, bring the jury in. We're on a time crunch here, so we'll have to do these proceedings back to back. I apologize for any inconveniences." The judge said, clearly not sorry.

The jury poured in from doors on the side, 12 highly bored individuals who were gonna decide Drew's fate.

"Defense, please begin your opening remarks."

"Drew Bart is a kid. He's a stupid kid, but he's just a kid. He was given access to all kinds of weapons by his irresponsible absentee parents, raised around crime and taught jealousy. Drew Bart didn't act out of malice or with the intent to harm others. He acted out of blind jealousy for the one he loved. Drew Bart cannot be blamed for his crimes, because there was nobody there to teach him otherwise." The defence guy said, clearly not impressing anyone.

"Crown, opening remarks."

"Drew Bart is a smart, sick and twisted individual that acted with malice and full intent to hurt others. He's a terrorist! He blew up the Meridian Arts Centre for crying out loud! Drew Bart is a terrorist who has hurt countless, but the crown will prove that he has a special vendetta for his primary victims. In his ideal world, he'd want them all dead and raped, as we will prove." The crown attorney said, waking up the jury from their slumber.

"Thank you for your opening remarks. I understand that first, the crown would like to call a witness?" The judge asked.

"Yes, the crown calls Millicent Brooks to the stand."

Milly was the most prepared out of all of us. She walked up to the stand fully confident as if she already knew the outcome of the trial.

"Crown, please begin your questioning."

"Allow me to please announce my intentions, I would like to know where you were on the night of November 26th, 2021?" The crown asked.

"I was at school that day and I stayed until around 6:30 there with my friends." Milly responded

"And who was with you? Full names and if you could please point to them in the gallery."

"I was with Hailey Austin, Jacob Sterling, Sean Everett, Luke Peterson and Zander Wickham." She said, pointing to every single one of us.

"What happened when you guys left the school?"

"We saw two people- a male and female arguing."

"And did you manage to see who these two people were?"

"Yes."

"Who were they?"

"They were Drew Bart and Sadie Wickremesinghe." She said, pointing to Drew.

"What happened in the parking lot?"

"Drew seemingly got the upper hand and held her at gunpoint. Then he saw us trying to leave and walked over to us, Sadie was still at gunpoint. He taunted us and told us that if we moved even one step, he would shoot Sadie. Then, Sean Everett pulled out a gun and Drew shot Sadie. Then, Drew ran away."

"Thank you, Millicent. The Crown would now like to present evidence number 1, a video recording of the parking lot that night." 

The bailiff then wheeled in a massive TV so that both the jury and the gallery could see. As the video played, I replayed that night in my head over and over again. He was probably going to kill her regardless, but we still could've done something. We could've at least tried to save Sadie, we could have killed Drew. 

After a minute of arguing, I heard the gunshot. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see Sadie's dead body again.

"That video is of Drew Bart, clearly seen in frame murdering Sadie Wickremesinghe. As you can see, the video is in colour with 4k UHD quality, so it was pretty hard to miss the blatant murder and confession."

"Do you have any further questions for your witness?"

"No your honour, I have no further questions." The crown guy said, looking satisfied with his performance.

"Defence, it's your turn for questioning." The judge told the defence.

"We have no questions, your honour. The defence bitch said.

"In that case, Defense, would you like to call a witness?"

"Yes, we'd like to call a hostile witness, Sean Everett."

FIN

A/N: Back and happy about it :)