Tearing Us Apart

Barry held onto my hand that was still shaking as we wanted for Joe. This was just history repeating itself. We both knew what would happen; both of us are going to get shouted at because of our actions and there would be huge argument. I had no energy left in me to deal with this, not after having to identity the criminals, then filling out more forms and statements and on top of that being attacked by a colleague. I just wanted to go home.

The door opened, Joe slamming down a huge folder filled with papers onto his desk. He looked pissed, staring at us both for a minute before speaking up.

"Bethan, I know you've been through some very serious situations, however this had got to be the most dangerous. Peoples lives were at stake." Joe started."And that is because of you."

"Why?" I whispered.

"Because just as Lucy said, you were involved with The Flash."

"Those men don't know I'm dating Barry. How can this possibly be linked?"

"Everyone in this city knows who you are. It's a guilt trick to get the Flash to that crime scene."

"So what do you want me to do? I can't stop being me."

"I think that you two need to be apart, spend some time away from each other-"

"What!?"

Barry was calmer."Joe, you don't mean-"

"Yes, I think you two should break up." Joe interrupted."You're both in danger by being together."

Barry sighed, slumping back in his seat."You can't be serious."

"This is best for everyone."

I raised my voice."Everyone? What about us?"

Joe looked frustrated."Bethan, you're needs don't outweigh those in the city. Like I just said, it's dangerous-"

"NO! NO JOE, SHUT UP!" He was shocked by my outburst."This past week has just been shit for me!" I stood up, trying to gain confidence." All the conversations I've had with people associated with Barry's superpowers are about the danger of dating him and that we shouldn't be together. Also, I've been trying to convince myself and Barry to not listen to those people because all that's coming out if their mouths is bullshit! Oh, and you know what else? Only few hours ago, I was hiding in a cupboard from men with FUCKING GUNS! Not to mention, all of my colleagues hate me, so work is going to be just great. I am an adult Joe, I don't need you to be telling me what to do." And with that I stormed out of there, not wanting to hear those questions he was on about.

In an empty corridor, I stopped, knowing that my outraged wasn't necessary. But I had to let it out, I was so frustrated. Loud sobs let me mouth, my tears running down my cheeks at a fast pace.

"Bethan, come here." Barry's gentle voice called out. He stood with his arms open towards me. I sprinted to him, crying in his embrace.

"I'm not letting them tear us apart! I won't let them!" I cried.

"Bethan," he cupped my face with his hands,"I'm not letting them do that to us either. Look, Joe has some men looking for you, he wants to question you still. But I'm going to take you to Star Labs, alright?"

I nodded before we quickly went outside. As soon as we got there, he picked me up, running to Star Labs.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Caitlin hugged me from the side as I sat on her operating bed. Once I was dropped off here, Barry had to get back to make it look like he hadn't found me. Joe would know what Barry did but it was just a little distraction for now. He had kissed me and left, leaving Caitlin and Cisco with a crying girlfriend.

Cisco came back into the room with a tray. On the tray was three ice cream tubs and three spoons to eat the ice cream with. Smiling a little, I took one of each, diving in without the others. Earlier, through the vast amount of tears and sobbing, I had explained what happened. They were all for me and Barry dating, I knew that, but I was still angry about the whole situation.

Wells soon entered the room, confused at the sight he saw in front of him. His two best scientists and the superhero's girlfriend were sat eating ice cream on an operating table. He came up to us, the three of us watching in anticipation.

"What do you think you three are doing?" He asked.

"We're cheering Bethan up. She's just been told that he has to break up with Barry because it's too dangerous." Cisco spoke up.

"By who?"

"Joe."

"I have to say I agree with him."

"I'm not dealing with this bullshit again." I lept off of the table.

"Bethan! You are causing a problem here that can easily be avoided."

"Yes, because I'm the problem. Not those criminals out there, no they're fine."

"I'm being serious Bethan."

"What are you going to do about it?"

"I'll just find a way to break you two up."

"Threats are not going to work on me. I've been through enough shit today to be scared by something that won't happen."