18| A Kiss Before Lying

Start from the beginning

Ivy and Hanna looked at her. "The last time I gave her the benefit of the doubt, I ended up blowing chunks on my chunky heels."

Hanna looked around the cafeteria. "Oh, my God! Is that her?"

"Where?" Ivy spun around, looking throughout the cafeteria with a frantic look on her face.

"Never mind."

Aria leant forward. "Han, Ivy, come on, you both need to relax."

"We would be if you guys were doing a better job keeping a lookout." Hanna snapped.

"Hanna, I never got a good look at Kate to begin with. The only time I've ever seen her was across a crowded church." Spencer said, taking the lead towards an empty table.

Ivy noticed something hanging out of Spencer's jumper. "What is that poking out from under your sweater?"

"Is that a dude's undershirt?"

Spencer froze for a moment. "Maybe. It's Toby's." And she sat down, encouraging the girls to pull up the chairs beside her.

All four of them looked at Spencer, with sympathy. "You guys, do not look at me like I'm one of those dogs with wheels for legs, okay?"

Ivy pointed a finger at her. "That is not even funny to joke about." She warned.

Spencer held her hands up in defence. She then turned to Emily. "Em, when is your mom coming?"

"Tomorrow. I'm really excited." Emily answered.

"Hanna? Ivy?" A voice called.

The two snapped their heads round to see Kate standing there awkwardly. "Kate. Welcome to Rosewood High." Hanna greeted her.

"Thanks." Kate said. Then she noticed their friends. "Hi, I'm Kate. We haven't officially met yet."

Aria gave her a small wave. "Hey, I'm Aria."

"Emily."

"Spencer."

Kate gave them a nod. "So, I got my schedule, and first period, I have History with Mr. Barcocas."

"Oh, yeah. Mr. Barocas. He's easy. Everybody likes him." Aria told her.

Spencer looked at Kate with familiarity.

"Um, we can show you where it is. We're actually in that class, too." Hanna said.

Spencer leant forward a bit. "Yeah, Kate, um, have we actually met before?" She asked.

Kate thought for a moment, pursing her lips. "You're right, we have, at the wedding." Hanna and Ivy gave Spencer a look for her to knock it off. "It's nice to have met you all. Bye." She waved.

Ivy glanced at Hanna as she got up from her seat. "I'll just stay here." Ivy said. Hanna grabbed her arm, - just as she was about to take a bite out of her muffin - yanking her up.

"Thank you both for doing this. I wouldn't have blamed you if you decided to make me fend for myself." Kate said.

Hanna's phone unexpectedly beeped. "Yeah, don't worry about it." She looked down at her phone, and her eyes went slightly wide.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Oh, yeah, it's just my mom. Wondering what time Ivy and I will be home for dinner."

Kate nodded and walked off, leaving Ivy and Hanna alone.

"What happened?"

Hanna handed Ivy the phone.