berry picking

the sky has been a light gray all day, rays of the sun hidden by walls of cloud and fog. my ears have been stuffed with endless complaints from sprite, who hates the rain and wants it to end. and full of groans from druig and kingo whenever she opens her mouth. "if you want to go outside so bad then go." Kingo says. she rolls her eyes at this, sighing. "how's the weather for tomorrow looking?"she asks, sitting on a counter, legs crossed. i'm sitting the same way, across the room with my book, trying to enjoy the sound of the rain.

i cannot foresee the future, sprite. but i'll bring in an hour of warmth and light just for you.

to this he grins, seeming to be finally satisfied as she leaves and goes off to her room, much to the relief of the rest of us. i adore sprite, i do but too much of anyone can be annoying. a smell fills my nose, one that's slid down the halls and through the doorways, a savoury salty smell accompanied by a sweet one. my suspicions are confirmed when makkari appears at my side, a plate of fruit mush, something gil had invented with a side of eggs and bacon.

although i'm not sure where he got the pig from. i pick a piece from her plate, biting into it as my mouth fills with the salty taste. "do you ever feel guilty eating animals when you are friends with some?"Kingo asks, making Druig laugh. with bacon hanging half out of my mouth i begin to the think, pulling another bite.

this pig wasn't my friend.

to that, kingo raises an eyebrow.

"how do you know?"he asks. i shrug, getting up on my way to the kitchen. it's large, bright by candles and full of the sounds of humming as gil stirs a pot of fruit mush, sprinkling some sugar in. "brelione! just in time, i need some more berries but we're out on the bushes, would you mind?"gil asks. thena laughs at the table, taking a sip of a drink. "oh, he just doesn't want to go outside. i'll go with you."she says, getting up. druigs arm comes across my waist, lips brushing against my ear as he speaks.

"i'll make a plate for you."he says gently, presses a kiss to my temple before he lets go. i hold back a smile, thena and i walking down the hall. "so you and druig, is that happening?"she asks as the heavy air hits our skin. the rain isn't as violent as it has been, creating a shield around us as we move across the stone to my gardens. the bushes have been plucked bare, roots begging for more berries. and i know that if i look over my shoulder i'll see druigs sillouhette watching me.

he adores the way that the plants move for me, bending to my will. i don't know what it is that he likes so much about me, that i've never understood. but i will never complain, his admiration for me might be my favorite thing about living. thena holds a basket, one that gilgamesh had made her himself. there's something so soft about the way that they treat eachother, the way that their energy just seems to dance together in the most elegant of ways. i want that.

with a graze of my fingertips, the berries jump at me in excitement. blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and druberries and makberries. the last two are newer ones that i've created, deep blue with shiny exterior and sweet interior with juice that stains if you're not careful enough. and when they're mashed they glitter in the light like diamonds. perfect for frosting. happening? i'm not sure about that. she sighs, crouching down to help pick the berries. "a work in progress then. can i tell you something if you will listen?"she asks, the skirt of her gown grazes the ground.

she looks beautiful in such dresses, it's a shame that the humans will never see her like this. i think she believes that if she shows this side of herself to them that they will have less faith in her. that they'll ridicule her feminity and use it as a way to uphold ikaris. sure, the humans worship us but they all have their judgements. i can see it in their eyes. i've heard them, speaking to animals about their thoughts. ive been the animal they were speaking to, watching behind unsuspecting green eyes as they tell all their secrets.

i wonder, if they knew that i could do such a thing would they still feel so comfortable speaking to their pets? it's invasive, maybe. but it's proven necessary at times. i nod, lettting Thena go on. "druig looks at you like the people look at sprites illusions. he looks at you like you're arishem himself. please, tell me that you won't let that go. and if you don't allow this to happen i fear that it never will. do what you want but know that we can all see it. you're not making this all up in your head, this is real. the only question is, do you think of him the same way?"she asks, standing up as i regrow the fruits once more.

it's a question, one so complex that i'll have to let it ferment in my mind as i consider it. really, i already know my answer. but for now, i'll enjoy whatever it is that we have.

this book has gained 2000 reads since yesterday. you all are amazing!! i hope you enjoy this chapter. also, a few people have asked me a question both on tiktok and in the comments of this book. why does brelione not have quotation marks when she speaks? this is because she is not speaking, she is using sign language. this will be further explained in future chapters and i've decided to start spacing out where she is signing so that it's less confusing.
-xoxo, H.