Chapter 14

Ervyn stirred first. He smiled as he kissed both his men and slid out of bed. Once he freshened up, he gently shook Lennox.

"What time is it?" asked Lennox as he sat up.

"Time for morning rounds. Go freshen up, I will get started on breakfast," said Ervyn and stepped out. He was making breakfast when Lennox stepped into the kitchen and pressed a kiss to his lips.

"He is still asleep. I won't take long," he said and Ervyn nodded with a smile. Once he was done with breakfast, he heard Edgar in the hall. Not long after that he got to the kitchen.

"I have two men and I woke up alone," said Edgar raising an eyebrow.

"If you would have survived the day without much sleep, I would have woke you up," said Ervyn.

"Are you sore?" he asked again. Edgar flushed a little.

"Just a little. But I am fine," said Edgar.

"He is a good lover, right?" asked Ervyn raising an eye brow.

"Yes. Stop embarrassing me," said Edgar poking him.

They just looked at each other for a moment.

"I - I was never there for you. Never again. I was a fool. Now I promise," said Edgar. Ervyn nodded leaning onto him.

They stepped out and kept the dishes on the table. The children were chattering away. Lennox got back by then. He sat down at the new dining table. They got themselves a table with more width and length. It was cozy.

All five of them had a quiet breakfast with soft looks exchanged between the elder three and the children just watching them. They made themselves scarce as soon as breakfast was done so their parents can have more time together.

Ervyn loved how thoughtful their kids are. Lennox pressed a kiss to his lips. Usually he is not openly affectionate at all times. But Ervyn knew he tries. He waited as Lennox turned to Edgar who was looking a little flustered. Their lips met, a gentle chaste kiss exchanged between them.

They stepped out after that and Ervyn watched them go. He decided to write his father a letter, just to let him know he is happy. He wonders if his father tried maybe his birth father could have loved Kai too. Or if they even wanted it. They will never know and nor will he. But the fact that it's possible for him made him happy.

He found Kaden and Struan mumbling to each other.

"But Baba doesn't like to celebrate my birthdays. We can't do that. It makes him sad. I think it reminds him of mother," said Kaden and Struan was looking puzzled. Kaden's mother. That was a topic he and Lennox never spoke about.

He has tried. But he had been brushed off rather pointedly. That was in the beginning though. He has lived with the man for over six months now. Surely he would talk now? He has seen Aiden's photo in Kaden's room. He was a beautiful one. But he didn't know anything more about the guy.

He will have to make sure his Kaden gets a birthday too. Maybe not exactly on his birthday but a party nevertheless. His son deserves that. Some bad memories shouldn't shape his whole life. He can't let that happen.

----------------

Lennox was busy feeding cattle. Edgar was with him. He was about to lift the bigger basin with feed in it.

"Leave it. I will do it. Aren't you sore?" asked Lennox. Edgar met his eyes.

"A little. But I will be fine. I can do this," said Edgar. Lennox shook his head and moved forward, taking the basin from him.

"I am not an invalid," growled Edgar but picked the straw instead to go feed the cows. Lennox watched a little amused as the prince had a fit.

"I was thinking about the shop lots. There are some skilled labourers among those who came with me. We can always look at it," said Edgar. Lennox nodded.

"Maybe couple of them can help at home so that Evy doesn't have to do much," said Lennox.

"Yes. He works too hard," said Edgar.

"I am sending the documents to Valence. Do you want to send a letter?" asked Lennox as they walked back.

"Not yet. Later. Let Valence know to inform them about the union," said Edgar.

Lennox hesitated for a while but he was reminded of Aiden for a moment. Or how he wasted so much time.

"Edgar"

"Ed"

"Ed, are you well?"

"Yes. You were good to me. Now come, let's not keep them waiting," said Edgar. Then the family made way to the Inn. They spent the day as usual, taking care of the Inn and the farm.

Lennox was surprised when Ervyn brought up the topic of Kaden's birthday.

"We don't celebrate it," snapped Lennox before he could stop himself. Ervyn flinched. Edgar narrowed his eyes.

"It's not about whether or not we celebrate it on the day, Kaden deserves a celebration early or late," said Ervyn.

Lennox didn't say anything for a moment.

"I need to think about it," he said. Neither of them pushed him after that.

-----------

Lennox was deep in thought. He looked at Aiden's photo in his wallet.

"He was beautiful," said Ervyn. Lennox startled and then found himself flanked on both sides by his husbands.

"Yes, he was," said Lennox, at last. He has never opened up about Aiden to Ervyn and now Edgar was also looking curiously. He found himself talking. The duo listened without judgement.

"Aiden was sweet and forgiving from what you said. Would he appreciate his son not getting to celebrate his birthday?" asked Edgar, not smoothing the edges to make the question pretty.

"I know, I just- it's my guilt, my failure," said Lennox.

"I shouldn't be telling you how its possible to mess up. You saw the mess I made and helped me sort it out. We are human. We are bound to mess up. We can only forgive ourselves and move forward. We can only not repeat our mistakes," said Edgar. Ervyn was silent, his head resting on Lennox's shoulder.

Lennox nodded. All three of them sat there in silence.

--------

Lennox was surprised when Kaden approached him after dinner.

"Baba, if it makes you sad, I don't want a birthday celebration. I will be fine. I will tell ama and Papa," said Kaden. He looked earnest as he met his eyes and he was taken back to Aiden hanging off his hand.

"No, they are right. Your ama and Papa are right. It's your special day, you should be able to celebrate it. I shouldn't be attaching trauma to it. We will pay respects to your mother and celebrate your birthday," said Lennox.

Kaden just hugged him tight and didn't let go.

"Thank you, Baba," he said, his eyes shining.

------