Chapter 3

Ervyn decided to go down to the Inn on Saturday, almost six days after his arrival at the Great Alder Inn. He walked in to see his husband at the counter in the far end. The man looked up and saw him.

The customers, some travellers and a group that looked like they are regulars here were at the restaurant.

“Good that you are here. Man the counter, the rates are in the board. I will be back now,” he said and Ervyn mumbled a ‘Yes’, taking his place. He watched his husband disappear upstairs giving instructions to Gavin for travellers and then he came down and went to kitchen. Eyes on his husband, he didn’t realise curious eyes were on him. The regulars were blatantly staring while the travellers also looked like he is some otherworldly being. Good lord, it’s his clothes. What was he thinking?

The regulars especially seemed gobsmacked. He gave them all a polite smile and that seemed to ease everyone.

“Forgive us, but we have not seen you around. Are you a friend of the good major?” asked a stout but bald man among the crowd.

“I should have introduced him. This is my husband Ervyn,” said Lennox, his voice icy even though he was merely making an introduction. But the crowd seemed used to his tone.

“You never said anything about a marriage Mr Kerr, what a surprise. Welcome to Borg,” said a lean man with a black complexion.

“It’s my pleasure,” he said. Lennox introduced the men by name but he forgot it when he saw how reverently they were talking to his husband.

“We will see you around Mr Kerr and you Mr Kerr,” said the youngest among them by looks of it and then made their payment before departing. The travellers went back to their conversation.

“It would be helpful if you can come around every day around evening,” said Lennox.

“I will keep that in mind. Struan will keep an eye on Kaden and Mother,” said Ervyn.

“That’s for the best. He is a capable boy,” said Lennox. Ervyn wholeheartedly agreed. He stayed around till the Inn was closes for the day and walked the pathway up to their house with Lennox by his side.

“What do you think about the Wilmore estate? I am thinking of buying it,” said Lennox.

“Its about the size of my father’s old estate and very productive too from what I recall,” said Ervyn. Lennox just looked at him for a moment.

“We have to set aside two bride prices. You will have to work with me on this. Being passive won’t help,” said Lennox.

“Two? You only have Kaden,” said Ervyn.

“And you have Struan, that’s two carrier children between us,” said Lennox. Ervyn froze. He stood rooted, ice in his veins numbing him to everything else.

“My father told you,” said Ervyn.

“Yes. Were you not aware?”

“No, I was not. You still married me, knowing I am a carrier who gave birth outside of wedlock,” said Ervyn, the truth sounding strange even to his own ears as he said it out loud.

“I had my child out of wedlock too. Moreover, I am no one to judge you for your life choices,” said Lennox and then sighed.

Ervyn needed to hold onto something to feel rooted to reality. So he entwined his hand with his husband’s, prepared for rejection. None came. The man simply led him to their house.

“Where are you from, originally?” asked Ervyn, to not discuss his child again tonight.

“Mereth. My father was the local land lord. He was killed by rebels during uprising. I sold the land and everything there,” said Lennox.
“I am sorry,” he said.