Chapter 2

The room they arrive in is grand. It is actually a suite of rooms. The entrance had two comfortable chairs and a low table. The main room- their bedroom if the personal artefacts already in place was anything to go by was big with a King size bed. There was a window which gives a grand view of the estate.

The inner room is a second bedroom- probably used as a nursery and children’s room by the old owners. The room is not cleaned up. The only maintained rooms in the suite ends up being the bedroom, bathroom and the sitting room. That will have to change but for now, he doesn’t say anything. Perhaps new money is called new money for a reason.

They had dinner at the Inn after the wedding ceremony and his ring was like hot iron on his finger even hours after that. He wonders if he will end up sleeping with this man- his husband who he only met the day before.
They prepare for bed in silence. His husband lays down, pulling the duvet over himself and Ervyn released a breath he didn’t realise he was holding.

“Do you- do we consummate our wedding tonight?” he asked, wanting to confirm.

“Another day,” said Lennox, meeting his eyes. Ervyn didn’t want to feel grateful but he was. He is eternally grateful.

Come morning, he wakes up to an empty bed. His husband’s side of the bed was not too warm- an early riser for sure. He stepped out after dressing for the day and came across the cook first, Mathilda.

“Struan is finishing your breakfast. He will bring it to the table soon Mr Kerr,” she said.

“Thank you. Has Lennox left for the Inn?”

“He did. He usually leaves by 7 in the morning.”

“Were you briefed about my duties here?”

“I was instructed to help you around initially, Mr Kerr”

“Call me Ervyn and please lead the way”
He needs to do something, anything to get a sense of control back- to feel like he is not sinking. He was shown Kaden’s room on the way down.

“Master Kade does not wake until it is 10,” she said fondly as they made their way down.
“Does he have tutors?”

“No. this far out, finding a tutor is hard. Master Kerr teaches him and now you are here Mr Kerr,” said Mathilda, kindly.

Tutoring, he can do. If only the child didn’t hate him, he would probably enjoy it even.

“We all are field workers. Our labor is better used in the estate. We are all glad Master Kerr has found you. The estate will be run smoothly now, I am sure,” said Mathilda and he thinks the old lady believes it. He knew to run a household- that of an upper class man in the city- not this. He doesn’t know how he will fare in a country estate, but he nods as is expected of him.

They reach the kitchen and Ervyn is at a loss as to what is expected of him here but he keeps up the façade and acts normal. Struan seems to flourish as he was laughing with Olivia discussing something. He turned and saw Ervyn and beamed. At least the kid is finally happy. In city, he has never seen Struan beam like that. He always hides behind Ervyn.

“Master Ervyn, I have made your favourite pancake for breakfast,” said the boy with a smile that showed his dimples.

“Thank you, Struan,” he said and looked at Mathilda.

“Did my husband leave any instructions?” he asked.

“I am supposed to show you the ways in the manor initially and then join the farm hands in the fields once you are thorough,” said Mathilda, the kind smile still on her face. Struan looked ready to protest but Ervyn shook his head to keep down any protest.
Ervyn wonders how different his life will be now. He watched carefully as Mathilda cooked dishes for Madame Kerr and Kaden. She was off soon enough after biding Olivia to show him around. The woman led him to Madame Kerr who looked tired even though evidently she was well rested. It was like tiredness was etched into her bones. She smiled kindly at him.