Chapter 5

Telling Struan the truth was in his mind for a long time. But he didn't have the courage to do it. He was tending to both the children's hair again. Lennox was also home. He was busy going through some documents next to them.

"I have something to tell you Struan," said Ervyn. At that Lennox looked up. Ervyn met his eyes and recieved and encouraging nod. Kaden was looking at him suspiciously. Typical of that child. He adored those natural reactions from Kaden, really.

"Yes?" asked Struan.

For a moment Ervyn lost the courage. He chose this moment so that he will have Lennox by his side. And there is Kaden who can comfort Struan.

"Your mother- Mrs Reid was like family. When I got pregnant at the age of 16, she was the one who cared for me. By papa was bedridden then and father too busy with business. I only had Mrs Reid. I knew I wouldn't get to raise him. So she made me a promise and raised my son as Struan Reid," said Ervyn. He almost mumbled the last part. But it was clear that all three others heard. Kaden was gaping and Lennox looked impassive. And then there was Struan, his face a cloud of emotions.

"Say something, my child. Are you angry at me?" asked Ervyn. He didn't realise he was crying until Kaden wiped his eyes.

"Don't be silly Ervyn. This is good news. Struan is my brother," said Kaden excited.

"You are my mom, Master Ervyn?"

"Yes. Please don't call me Master Ervyn. There is no one here to stop us. Please call me Ervyn or anything else you like," said Ervyn. Struan didn't reply. He just stared at Ervyn intently, eyes wet.

"Ama," sobbed Struan as he shifted finally and threw himself at Ervyn who caught him and held him close. Struan didn't let go, even an hour later and despite numerous reassurances from Ervyn. Kaden was also sitting close to him, patting Struan's back.

"You should be happy you have Ama," said Kaden. He saw Lennox shift in the periphery. He knew how the man must be feeling. But he needed to tend to Kaden first.

"I would never presume to replace your mother Kaden but if you want you will have an Ama too or a best friend," said Ervyn.

Kaden looked at him for a moment his lips wobbling. He then threw himself at Ervyn on top of Struan and mumbled "Ama please, be my Ama."

Lennox shifted the children who were asleep to the side of the bed and Ervyn tucked them in. Lennox sat beside him. He turned to look at the man.

"Thank you for having my back," he said.

"I did nothing"

"You did a lot. You were here"

Ervyn leaned up and kissed his husband chastely. Lennox kissed him back, both very much aware that their children are asleep next to them.

"I should go check on everyone," said Lennox. Ervyn nodded. Lennox returned some 15 minutes later.

"I - Do you mind if they sleep here tonight?"

"No"

They both got ready for bed and laid down. Ervyn smiled into the pillow when he felt Lennox's arm wrap around his hip. Lennox also slept a little after that. Somehow Ervyn stayed up, feeling warm and comfortable surrounded by his family. It felt good. He was awake when Struan sat up 'Ama' on his lips. He reached his son, not disturbing Kaden who was asleep between them. Struan sobbed  and Ervyn gently patted him and combed his hand through Struan's hair till he fell asleep again.

He laid back down and Kade cuddled closer making him smile again.

-------------

Struan is following him around since morning and so is Kade. The moment he steps out of a room, they are tailing him. He fed them more than they usually eat because of this. Kade even let Ervyn pat his hair. They followed him to the Inn in the evening. Ervyn knew Lennox could use a few hands at the Inn. He left the children to man the counter as usual.
Lennox sent them both to sort out the rooms. When it was a little darker outside, Lennox came into the kitchen.