Chapter 12

For Zainu who requested a chapter and everyone else xoxo. Trust me with the pace plese. Love.

Edgar could feel the fury radiating off Ervyn. They all sat down in the sitting room closer to Ervyn and Lennox's bedroom. The very room from where he heard passionate calls of 'Lennox' and 'Evy' on his first ever night here. Seeing them together was easy and not easy. It was a stab to his heart and at the same time something he wants to admire. They looked like they belonged with each other.

Even now, Lennox was standing beside Ervyn who was sitting and glaring at him, his hands folded.

"I know it was the coward's way out," said Edgar.

"What is your grand plan after leaving valley?" asked Ervyn.

"I quite like being an Inn keeper. I could put you both out of business," said Edgar, joking.

Ervyn just narrowed his eyes.

"We actually had a question for you before you decided to flee like a coward," said Ervyn.

"Yes?"

Ervyn is always straightforward.

"What do you think about a triad?" asked Ervyn. Edgar was not sure he was hearing right. Surely Ervyn is not suggesting what he thinks he is suggesting. Edgar looked at Lennox who was also looking at him. He seemed calm.

"What is this- pity?"

"You think we would make a serious decision out of pity?" asked Ervyn.

Edgar looked at Lennox. Again, unfazed. He looked back at Ervyn.

"You don't mind?" he asked Lennox.

"If I did, we wouldn't be here," said Lennox.

Edgar was speechless.

"But?"

"What but?"

"There has got to be a but- right?"

"None. Except it should be healthy. It won't be a relationship between you and me and me and Lennox. It should be between all three of us. Do you think you can do that?" asked Ervyn.

Edgar looked at Lennox who was looking calm as ever. Evidently they have spoken about this before.

"I need to think," said Edgar.

"Take all the time you need," said Ervyn.

They just looked at each other at a loss of words. Then Lennox cleared his throat.

"Let's retire," he said. One by one all three left the room.

---------------

Next morning, the children found out that Edgar tried leaving at night and decided to tail him at all hours. They sat on his side for breakfast and then tagged along for all his daily activities. Edgar was amused and a little heartbroken that they were resorting to this. After noon, he made them sit down next to him.

"Listen, I won't leave without telling you ever. You don't have to worry. I won't try to flee again," said Edgar.

"We believe you," said Kaden and hugged him tight. Struan nodded and sat leaning on his shoulder. In moments like these he regretted more than ever that he missed out on his son's childhood, his growing up. Sure he has seen glimpses of Struan always. But never enough.

Seeing the men in the morning was something else. After what they discussed the previous night, it felt like something shifted. It was only in the evening that they got the chance to talk again.