Chapter 11

Edgar decided he will help out too while he is here. Therefore he tailed Lennox to Inn next day. They didn't talk all the way.

"What do I do then?"

"Nothing, you can just man the counter," said Lennox and went about explaining the pricings.

"Locals tend to come in till it's snowing enough that we would need a shovel. Can expect travellers. Travellers often stay a day. The rates are written down there," said Lennox.

Edgar nodded.

He looked at the list. It was simple. He would even call it pleasant if not for the stares he was getting. After some time Ervyn arrived. He and the kids went about cooking a storm. They were cooking for the entire farm, he realised.

"This looks like a promising township. I don't see why it's so desolate," said Edgar thoughtful.

"It's the roads, sir,"said Frances, Edgar's chief of guard who refused to leave the entrance of the pub, standing guard. The man is too stubborn for his own good.

"Yes. Ervyn has a plan to appeal to the authorities for a better road plan," said Lennox.

"That should do some good then," said Edgar.
Everyone stared at Edgar who was acting as if he didn't notice.

"Please stop staring. It's not polite. Edgar is my guest here," said Lennox.

"Edgar as in Prince Edgar?" asked a brave man. Lennox nodded. They bowed to Edgar who waved them off.

"I am not a prince or royal heir anymore. Don't bother about salutations," he said. The people still bowed and went off to the tables.

Ervyn and the children joined them soon after that. By evening a seed merchant came and Lennox had to talk to him. That left the other four to manage the Inn.

Lennox poured himself a shot of whiskey as usual. He had it and Edgar looked on edge. So he pushed one to him who took it without a word.

Kaden led the way as all five of them made their way back home. Edgar was listening to Kaden wax poetry about the remaining dogs whom he absolutely must see tomorrow.

"They are the best dogs, right ama?" asked Kaden turning expectantly at Ervyn who nodded.

"The very best," he said.

The days more or less went by like that and Lennox felt like he had a normal life for the first time in a long time. Can he call himself a family man now? Perhaps. A man of the family. It was wonderful waking up to Ervyn. Even better when they all had breakfast together and then later when he gets to come home to them after a day of repair work around the farm.

Then there was Edgar. He seemed to be assimilating well to farm life. Slowly but surely he was learning the ways in the farm and he was not one to shy away from manual labour. That was good in a way because they were short of hands in the farm. For a prince he was quite good with manual labour and then one day Ervyn mentioned how Edgar was a trained prince. That made sense. At least explains how well he took to manual labour.

He also seemed to be keeping a respectable distance from Ervyn. It doesn't mean Lennox misses the longing looks he send Ervyn's way when he thinks no one is looking. He didn't feel bothered by it in all honesty. He knew Ervyn will choose him now. And he knew his place in Ervyn's life. There was no reason for any insecurity.