Chapter 4

Lennox was awake when Ervyn stirred. The man was looking at the ceiling, one arm secure around him. Their eyes met and Ervyn looked down, a little abashed. He had been so wanton last night.

"It was a good night," said Lennox.

Lennox sat up then and picked a gown for Ervyn and handed it over. Ervyn pulled it around himself and was on his feet.

"We have the cow ready to deliver any day now. I will go check on the cattle," said Lennox.

"You can depute Mathilda wherever you want. I can manage the cooking on my own," said Ervyn.

Lennox nodded, taking him at his word.
Ervyn cooked an early breakfast for all. The children dragged themselves down and Struan looked guilty as they sat down.

"I should be helping you- started Struan.

"No. You should be having fun and studying. I can afford to give you that now," said Ervyn.

"Mr Kerr is right. We should be studying,"
said Kaden seriously.

"At least let me help with serving the food," said Struan.

"We will wait for Kaden's father. He will be back soon," said Ervyn. Kaden looked at him at that. He wonders if the child hates him on principle or if he is someone who comes off as rude and unlikeable in general.

"Baba rarely has meals at the table," he said.

"Perhaps, we can change that," said Ervyn. Kaden looked at him suspiciously for a moment before nodding.

"Fine. You are right, Mr Kerr. We can change that," said Kaden and Ervyn is reminded of himself at that age.

They waited for Lennox who seemed surprised to see all three of them in the hall room.

"We were waiting for you. Let's have breakfast," said Ervyn.

Lennox nodded. All four of them sat down and Struan still looked like someone would scold him any moment now.

Ervyn knew he should tell his baby the truth. But deep down he was scared. Scared that his child will hate him for how weak he was. How he had let him be raised as a servant's son.

------------

Ervyn followed Lennox down the pathway to the cattle compound. They had been making out when Olivia rapped on the door and told them the calf is coming. Ervyn had pulled on his shirt fast and offered his husband a fresh one and then they were running down the hill. The cow stood mooing and was looking at Lennox once they got down. Lennox pet the cow who nuzzled onto his arm.

When the calf did come it was much later. Ervyn watched as Lennox pulled the placenta out and then the calf was white with black colour splattered on its coat.

"Name her," said Lennox looking at him.

"Me?"

"Yes, you," said Lennox amused. Ervyn huffed but sat down next to his husband and gently lifted his hand to touch the calf.

"Miranda. She looks like a Miranda," said Ervyn.

"Miranda it is," said Lennox and then let the farm hands clean up the spot and give some after care to the mother Daisy.

"Been such a good girl," said Lennox patting her again and then after giving instructions to the farm hands they made their way back

Ervyn looked at Lennox for a moment.

"I am good with the documentation procedures, if you need my assistance in anything," said Ervyn.

"That will be really helpful. I usually look at the paperwork when it's time to go meet the lawyer," said Lennox and led him to a room he haven't entered before.